Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr.Smile12

Admissions advisor
Staff member
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have recently been charged with an academic integrity violation during my sophomore year. When classes went online due to COVID-19, my physics course elected to give 48 hour online exams. I completed my exam within the first 3 hours of the period no problems. However, I decided not to turn it in so I could look over it the next day. The next day I started becoming neurotic over the exam and found that my classmates had posted the entire exam on Chegg. I decided to look at the answers and compare them with my own; then, I turned in the exam without making any changes as most of my exam reached the same answer with a different method.

Eventually, my professors found out the entire exam was posted online and they eventually found that 50% of the class had accessed the questions, including myself. I admitted to accessing the site and was given a zero on the exam and a finding within my record. I still passed the class with no damage to my GPA (3.9+) as the class was changed to pass/fail as a result of COVID.

I am a little lost on how to move on from the incident. I feel like I failed in two categories. One, in regards to academic integrity and two in my ability to maintain my integrity in such a strange situation such as a global pandemic. Both qualities I know a physician should uphold. Next semester, I will be a junior. I plan on taking a gap year as I currently have 0 shadowing hours and it is unlikely I will get any in the next months. When I do apply, I intend to completely own this and address how it has led me to take steps to address my neuroticism and control my stress as I know med school will be 100x stressful. Do you have any other tips? I have begun working on a possible plan B as I know how this is a huge red flag. In addition, I was able to secure two recommendations from faculty about my incident (They really appreciated my honesty and vowed to help me when I do apply)
As far as IA's go, you'll just need to confess about your participation. I'll admit that if your statement were true, then with over half the class accessing the improperly posted exam, that's a lot of zeros to hand out. It's too bad you just didn't report it as soon as you saw it posted.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh sorry, I think I may have worded it wrong. I have already been given the zero. It has been about two months since the incident. In regards to my future. Do you think I should continue to study, take the MCAT, and apply broadly to MD/DO programs? Or would be IA be enough that I would be unable to be admitted anywhere?
I don't think that this will be lethal. I blame the professors far more than the students. That exam should been 1-3 hours, tops.

But no more screw ups, OK?

Status
Not open for further replies.