How can I study?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

youngmo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I am a freshman and I was wondering what is the best way to study for the verbal section? Should I read the NY times everyday? I got a 540 on my SAT critical reading and I know that score can't predict my future MCAT verbal score but reading comprehension has always been my weak point and I really want to improve. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

You're way too early to think about this. You should focus on school course first. If you don't do well in school, what's the point of thinking about MCAT? It won't be too late to prepare for MCAT when you're done with Sophemore year or Junior year (Perhaps, after senior year).

You're way too early to think about this. You should focus on school course first. If you don't do well in school, what's the point of thinking about MCAT? It won't be too late to prepare for MCAT when you're done with Sophemore year or Junior year (Perhaps, after senior year).

Thanks for the reply. I am a very serious student finished with a 3.85/4.0 first semester. I was just looking for simple tricks to improve my reading. Like would reading a newspaper article everyday improve my reading skills?

Thanks for the reply. I am a very serious student finished with a 3.85/4.0 first semester. I was just looking for simple tricks to improve my reading. Like would reading a newspaper article everyday improve my reading skills?
Reading everyday will help a little bit with reading comprehension, but this is largely a passive approach.

Instead, engage the text. For example, you could write about the author's approach to the topic of the text, the literary mechanisms employed, sketching out the argument being made, summarizing, discuss a text with others, etc.

Last edited:

Read philosophy and art history articles.... easily the most challenging and if you can read those you should be fine on everything else