How can I work as a Dental Assistant in Ontario?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravendark

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm a foreign trained Dentist from Ontario, Canada and i wish to work in a dental office, as a Dental Assistant?
Can anyone provide me information about certification? Please, tell me the first steps i have to do to get this certificate!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Ravendark,

I don't know exactly how it works in Ontario but I can tell you how it works in Alberta, it shouldn't be so different.
First of all you have to have your transcripts evaluated by an authorized agency that will send the report to the national dental assistants examining board (NDAEB), so you can register to take the national dental assistants exam. After you pass that exam, it depends what are the regulations of the province that you live in...they will either let you register as a dental assistant or make you take a clinical exam. Which I think by 2007 will be mandatory. All the detailed information and exam dates can be found in there website http://www.ndaeb.ca/

The other route you can go is just try to work without being registered but at least here in Alberta is really hard to find a dentist that will hire an unregistered assistant...and you can not perform any intra-oral duties, just chair assist.
It takes around a year till you get all this burocracy out of the way..

To make sure just phone the ontario dental assistants association and ask their regulations.

Hope that helps...any other questions let me know and I'll answer to the best of my abilities...good luck

dralana1977 said:
Hi Ravendark,

I don't know exactly how it works in Ontario but I can tell you how it works in Alberta, it shouldn't be so different.
First of all you have to have your transcripts evaluated by an authorized agency that will send the report to the national dental assistants examining board (NDAEB), so you can register to take the national dental assistants exam. After you pass that exam, it depends what are the regulations of the province that you live in...they will either let you register as a dental assistant or make you take a clinical exam. Which I think by 2007 will be mandatory. All the detailed information and exam dates can be found in there website http://www.ndaeb.ca/

The other route you can go is just try to work without being registered but at least here in Alberta is really hard to find a dentist that will hire an unregistered assistant...and you can not perform any intra-oral duties, just chair assist.
It takes around a year till you get all this burocracy out of the way..

To make sure just phone the ontario dental assistants association and ask their regulations.

Hope that helps...any other questions let me know and I'll answer to the best of my abilities...good luck

Thank you!
This birocracy sucks!
But your information might really help me!
:D
Thanks again and Best Regards!