How can PRESTIGE help you financially/tangibly as a DOCTOR vs. dentistry?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VandyDerm

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I had a quick question. My friend, who is basically at the highest point in Law (he essentially landed a corporate law job offer at one of the best firms in the country = an achievement equivalent to that of landing the most competitive in medicine). Starting salary is 225K. I mean he simply is a genius yet charismatic guy and very well-rounded in all fields of academics, and balanced to manage an active social life. Well, we had a conversation about dentistry vs. medicine. The point was that dentistry could give you a money + lifestyle, but no prestige. Some specialties in medicine- derm, plastics, rads, etc...-however, would give you all three = money, lifestyle, + prestige. Ultimately, I was asking "how can prestige benefit me if become a dermatologist financially?"

In seriousness (I am not talking about meeting girls or wowing other people), but I was curious as to how prestige can help me as a doctor. He said that prestige will come in importance financially in the context of making money on side-deals (i.e. investments- whether it may be real estate, property, companies, etc...) His argument was that "rich people don't make most of their wealth on their sole day-to-day profession but rather on the side-deals made at social gatherings." At first, I really thought this was silly because I felt that connections + networking gets you such type of wealth and you could practically be a garbage man, but be cousins with Bill Gates. I thought these side-deals were meant for people who were already rich and had connections, but not for people like me or my friend who have come from nothing. With this notion, I felt that prestige was meaningless and my friend was making a haphazard argument. However, he would rather have this "wild-card" option of a prestigious job may in order to acquire a lot of wealth than not having prestige at all. You may ask, why he is so concerned about prestige and money? Well, my friend is a very ambitious guy and humble too. He loves working at free clinics and providing his services to the less fortunate and enjoys making money at the same time. However, his goal in life is to retire early in his mid 40s which is why he made this argument that PRESTIGE in fact matters if you want to retire early. He entered law over other fields such as business, despite working 12 hours a day as a corporate lawyer, because first and foremost, he loves it and is amazing at it, and secondarily, he feels that prestige will help him enter this elite circle of side-deals and eventually retire early. Thus, this argument is really catered to long term financial goals.

Well, I trust my friend, a very credentialed individual - will graduate from Georgetown Law summa this spring + possible valedictorian. Plus, he was undergrad (full ride) valedictorian/summa/phi beta at UMiami. He made this argument because he experienced firsthand of this argument I am bringing forth on this thread. During his year off before law school, he was working as an intern in investment banking. He stunned his colleagues through charisma, hard work, and previous credentials that the CEO (very rich with estimated wealth of over $100 million) loved the guy and the rest was history- solo jet rides with him, private one-on-one dinners, keys to one of his beach houses- they basically became very close friends. I was even shocked when I went to his room and the CEO was on the speaker phone with him making jokes.

One day, they were all at a Christmas social event, organized by the CEO, and my friend mentioned on the guest list that there were CEOs, doctors, lawyers, i-banking executives, and that was basically it. The point my friend was making was that in that room he was in, you have 2 groups of people. You have sellers looking for people to invest on a deal with guaranteed profits and you have buyers looking to invest. For example, there may be a very expensive property about to be built that no one knows about except the seller but he is looking for investors. These were the type of side-deals my friend was referring to. The point was this: Just to get an opportunity to be invited to those types of social gatherings and enter this exclusive group of private investors/sellers requires that you have a very prestigious job. For example, dentists, who may not seen as prestigious, as lawyers, doctors, or CEOs, would not be invited to such events. At the same time, just to reiterate, there was no guarantee that you will strike any deals or get invited frequently as a doctor, but simply the MAIN POINT was that just to have the prestige and this wild-card of a possibility to strike one or two such deals = BINGO, you could make most of my wealth and retire earlier. I mean there may be the usual real estate, stock market investing, high dividend yielding stocks, etc... but his point was that these opportunities (side-deals) are the ones that make or break you forever. Thus, to be in such a position, due to PRESTIGE as a doctor or lawyer, is simply a life-changing opportunity.

I was wondering how you would validate this claim my friend is making. Do you know any doctors who have been in this position? Do you think prestige matters in this financial manner that I have presented above? Do you think being will give you any OBJECTIVE and tangible financial benefits with such connections over being an ordinary dentist?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Guys,

I had a quick question. My friend, who is basically at the highest point in Law (he essentially landed a corporate law job offer at one of the best firms in the country = an achievement equivalent to that of landing the most competitive in medicine). Starting salary is 225K. I mean he simply is a genius yet charismatic guy and very well-rounded in all fields of academics, and balanced to manage an active social life. Well, we had a conversation about dentistry vs. medicine. The point was that dentistry could give you a money + lifestyle, but no prestige. Some specialties in medicine- derm, plastics, rads, etc...-however, would give you all three = money, lifestyle, + prestige. Ultimately, I was asking "how can prestige benefit me if become a dermatologist financially?"

In seriousness (I am not talking about meeting girls or wowing other people), but I was curious as to how prestige can help me as a doctor. He said that prestige will come in importance financially in the context of making money on side-deals (i.e. investments- whether it may be real estate, property, companies, etc...) His argument was that "rich people don't make most of their wealth on their sole day-to-day profession but rather on the side-deals made at social gatherings." At first, I really thought this was silly because I felt that connections + networking gets you such type of wealth and you could practically be a garbage man, but be cousins with Bill Gates. I thought these side-deals were meant for people who were already rich and had connections, but not for people like me or my friend who have come from nothing. With this notion, I felt that prestige was meaningless and my friend was making a haphazard argument. However, he would rather have this "wild-card" option of a prestigious job may in order to acquire a lot of wealth than not having prestige at all. You may ask, why he is so concerned about prestige and money? Well, my friend is a very ambitious guy and humble too. He loves working at free clinics and providing his services to the less fortunate and enjoys making money at the same time. However, his goal in life is to retire early in his mid 40s which is why he made this argument that PRESTIGE in fact matters if you want to retire early. He entered law over other fields such as business, despite working 12 hours a day as a corporate lawyer, because first and foremost, he loves it and is amazing at it, and secondarily, he feels that prestige will help him enter this elite circle of side-deals and eventually retire early. Thus, this argument is really catered to long term financial goals.

Well, I trust my friend, a very credentialed individual - will graduate from Georgetown Law summa this spring + possible valedictorian. Plus, he was undergrad (full ride) valedictorian/summa/phi beta at UMiami. He made this argument because he experienced firsthand of this argument I am bringing forth on this thread. During his year off before law school, he was working as an intern in investment banking. He stunned his colleagues through charisma, hard work, and previous credentials that the CEO (very rich with estimated wealth of over $100 million) loved the guy and the rest was history- solo jet rides with him, private one-on-one dinners, keys to one of his beach houses- they basically became very close friends. I was even shocked when I went to his room and the CEO was on the speaker phone with him making jokes.

One day, they were all at a Christmas social event, organized by the CEO, and my friend mentioned on the guest list that there were CEOs, doctors, lawyers, i-banking executives, and that was basically it. The point my friend was making was that in that room he was in, you have 2 groups of people. You have sellers looking for people to invest on a deal with guaranteed profits and you have buyers looking to invest. For example, there may be a very expensive property about to be built that no one knows about except the seller but he is looking for investors. These were the type of side-deals my friend was referring to. The point was this: Just to get an opportunity to be invited to those types of social gatherings and enter this exclusive group of private investors/sellers requires that you have a very prestigious job. For example, dentists, who may not seen as prestigious, as lawyers, doctors, or CEOs, would not be invited to such events. At the same time, just to reiterate, there was no guarantee that you will strike any deals or get invited frequently as a doctor, but simply the MAIN POINT was that just to have the prestige and this wild-card of a possibility to strike one or two such deals = BINGO, you could make most of my wealth and retire earlier. I mean there may be the usual real estate, stock market investing, high dividend yielding stocks, etc... but his point was that these opportunities (side-deals) are the ones that make or break you forever. Thus, to be in such a position, due to PRESTIGE as a doctor or lawyer, is simply a life-changing opportunity.

I was wondering how you would validate this claim my friend is making. Do you know any doctors who have been in this position? Do you think prestige matters in this financial manner that I have presented above? Do you think being will give you any OBJECTIVE and tangible financial benefits with such connections over being an ordinary dentist?

Thanks guys.

Members don't see this ad :)
No one will respond to this. Your thread is way too long, tired and rambling. You need to trim it down if you really want to start a thoughtful conversation, though I might warn you: The topic I think you're getting at (though admittedly, I stopped reading after the first paragraph) is quite overdone, especially on this site, and I predict some seriously cold shoulders coming your way.

your friend's view is not unusual, it just happens to conform very strictly to one particular worldview. to be honest, he'll probably die sooner than someone who loved their profession, worked well past middle-age, and went through life enjoying their experiences with family and colleagues as opposed to big stacks of money.

Yeah, I'm not out to make a point or statement or trying to incite any sort of cold responses. Rather, I was basically wondering if an issue such as this was actually valid in the real world. Sorry for making the post so long.

Yeah, I think your friend is making a valid argument. It is a little disturbing, but I guess it's true.

On the other hand, if I had a lot of money to invest, I wouldn't just throw it around. I would probably make sure that the entrepreneur has certain personal characteristics. It may be that some of those characteristics I consider *highly desirable* overlap with those characteristics that you would typically find in a physician who enjoys the "prestige" label, but there is certainly not 100% overlap.

Just because your friend is a brilliant law student doesn't mean that he's particularly wise about what's important in life or even how "side-deals" work. They don't study that in law school.

But if prestige is important to you, I guess it's good to recognize that.

Besides, what doctors have time for cocktail parties these days?

(except I suppose established dermatologists)

Great, you're friend does well in academic circles and was able to land a great entry-level job coming out of law school. Does this mean he knows anything about business or investing? No.
There is some truth that business opportunities will be presented to you based on who you know. If your goal is to retire early and become rich, don't go into medicine.

When you are on your death bed, prestige won't mean **** to you. Why should it before then?

When you are on your death bed, prestige won't mean **** to you. Why should it before then?
When you're on your deathbed, money and food and sex won't matter to you either.

As for prestige, it certainly helps you to get published, present at meetings, buy out other practices, buy lucrative office space, recruit good staff from other practices, earn the bank to fund your myriad of staff, sustain high patient referrals and also new patient contacts, rent exclusive locations for seminars, organize many different types of businesses to be at those seminars, get high numbers of reps knocking on your door so that they can say "Look! Buy my product cuz Dr. VandyDerm did!"

The benefits are endless. Of course, if someone's an *** getting there, you can also close a lot of doors based on your reputation too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oh he knows a ton about investing, a personal finance genius- a wiz kid who has aced the real estate licensure exams on his free time, beats the S&P index annually, and makes wise investments. One of those kids who will spend an additional 1-2 hours daily on reading finance articles/books in order to expand his wealth and knowledge. So, hes been given a lot of exposure and while these methods are investing are great for anyone such as him, he tells me that the largest gains in wealth in a given period of time are these side-deals.

Does prestige help you treat a patient?

If the answer is no, then it really shouldn't matter.

I too am an advocate of not caring about prestige with regard to treating a patient, choosing a particular field. But within the context of argument-sake and inquiry, I was wondering if such a claim was true so I am hoping that your comments can be directed with relevance to this question.

Thanks

I don't know if it's as much a prestige issue as much as it depends on how well you can network and how much money you can mobilize when needed. I think the latter issue is what locks out many dentists.

Yes its possible to archive what you want through medicine, It will however not happen as quickly. It will take time and effort but you can reach this sort of status. Several names come to mind but you wont be some international phenomenon but you'll be known locally. If this is a motivation for medicine you should remove it from your list, it requires a lot of work, and not everyone will reach that place in life.

Oh he knows a ton about investing, a personal finance genius- a wiz kid who has aced the real estate licensure exams on his free time, beats the S&P index annually, and makes wise investments. One of those kids who will spend an additional 1-2 hours daily on reading finance articles/books in order to expand his wealth and knowledge. So, hes been given a lot of exposure and while these methods are investing are great for anyone such as him, he tells me that the largest gains in wealth in a given period of time are these side-deals.

I think you should marry him, have an affair with him, because it sounds like you have 1 BIG crush! :love::love::love::thumbup:

Brag away.

When you're on your deathbed, money and food and sex won't matter to you either.

As for prestige, it certainly helps you to get published, present at meetings, buy out other practices, buy lucrative office space, recruit good staff from other practices, earn the bank to fund your myriad of staff, sustain high patient referrals and also new patient contacts, rent exclusive locations for seminars, organize many different types of businesses to be at those seminars, get high numbers of reps knocking on your door so that they can say "Look! Buy my product cuz Dr. VandyDerm did!"

The benefits are endless. Of course, if someone's an *** getting there, you can also close a lot of doors based on your reputation too.

For me, it will. I hope to be eating, gambling, and having sex the moment I die.

is his name aleksey? 'cause i'm pretty sure you're talking about him.

http://www.veoh.com/videos/e1336748NgyMqyG?s=swf&p1=133674

and honestly, if keys to the beach house and private jets are really part of your future goals, there are better ways to spend your premed/medical school/residency years. much better ways.

So, hes been given a lot of exposure and while these methods are investing are great for anyone such as him, he tells me that the largest gains in wealth in a given period of time are these side-deals.

If your only ambition for going into medicine is to become a dermatologist and become famous, or 'prestigious', then just quit now. The underlying tone of envy and jealousy of your supposed 'friends', coupled with the ridiculousness and naivety of your posts, leads me to assume that you really don't have the social skills to work a room full of powerful investment bankers - even if you were to miraculously be invited to such an event, which for a doctor, is like winning the lottery.

If your only ambition for going into medicine is to become a dermatologist and become famous, or 'prestigious', then just quit now. The underlying tone of envy and jealousy of your supposed 'friends', coupled with the ridiculousness and naivety of your posts, leads me to assume that you really don't have the social skills to work a room full of powerful investment bankers - even if you were to miraculously be invited to such an event, which for a doctor, is like winning the lottery.

Is derm a 'prestigious' specialty in the medical community? I thought they were pretty much the punchline of many jokes in medicine. Its obviously hard as hell to get into, but that does not = prestige.

PSA - not all Vandy students/alumni are like this.

I am not referring to prestige in IN-field specialty comparisons within medicine but more to the general public and people and how much that MD helps you along the lines of these sorts of connections/opportunities.

I am not referring to prestige in IN-field specialty comparisons within medicine but more to the general public and people and how much that MD helps you along the lines of these sorts of connections/opportunities.

Absolutely, nothing will supplement your low self esteem and need for acceptance like a graduate degree. People will adore you, chicks will flock to you, and when you look in the mirror you will love what you see.

Your friend is successful because of his charisma, not because of his prestiguous connections. Charisma has little to do with prestige.

Prestige may give a person an edge, but in the end charisma will always win out.

Interesting thought, but the main problem with what your friend said is that no one needs connections to get uber returns on their money.... they just need a considerable amount of capital. Do you think you need to be a doctor or any particular profession to invest in a hedge fund or a PE fund? Obviously not.

Money talks and prestige walks. Or something.

I mean he simply is a genius yet charismatic guy and very well-rounded in all fields of academics

Yeah, I hear all the super-geniuses are going to the University of Miami for undergrad and Georgetown Law these days. Move over, Harvard and Stanford! :rolleyes: Just kidding, but I'd be careful who you label a genius around here... several friends of mine went to Harvard Law and Harvard Business School, and even they are really nothing too extraordinary, intellectually. So just because your friend made A's at a pretty decent law school doesn't make him superman, I suspect.

First, the top corporate firms start at 160k, with discretionary bonus that only goes up to 30k max. So your 225k number was either made up by you or him (this is with the exception of one firm that pays 320+ starting, but doesnt really hire out of gtown).

Second, prestige is far more important in the business and legal world than it is in medicine, so I don’t think his analysis is too relevant to medicine.

Last, if your friend is real- in which case you have completely outted him (umiami--> gtown)- he sounds like he has an enormous chip on his shoulder. Its ironic that hes so obsessed with prestige, when in his own firm he will most likely have among the worst pedigree.

Nicely put Noskill:thumbup:. I seriously can't believe this is a thread! WOW! The loser who started this thread sounds like a person that I could sell a late night infomercial product to. But since I'm a dentist who has money/lifestyle but no prestige, I probably couldn't make connections or be invited to a party that would 'allow' me to invest on the side in such a product. As a "ordinary" dentist who is married to an attorney I feel uniquely qualified to answer this nimrod, but I feel embarrassed to have already invested the amount of time needed to type this post.:thumbdown: GET A LIFE

LOL, I am totally copying this post for my ERAS personal statement..

Doesn't this sort of remind you of the stereotype(or myth?) of businessmen scamming doctors on lucrative investment opportunities. Maybe it's best not to be included on these deals and just go the old safe mutual fund route?