How Can the NRMP Improve the Match/SOAP Process?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The interesting question will be what happens when the number of DO students increase to a point that THEY start to affect the AMG match rate?

Gotta feeling that at that time there will be call to limit the spots to just US citizens that are allopathic students...that those DO students should have worked harder to get into an allopathic school and not take the easy way out and choose to go to an osteopathic school...

rokshana, I hate to say it but after seeing how cruel & elitist you've been to some residency-applicants on valuemd, I'm glad that wagy27's elitist posts have struck a chord with you.

I get that you try to be realistic for people. But I remember seeing one of your posts and you told a visa-needing IMG with a CS-fail that he had "a snowball's chance in hell" of matching. Way harsh. A "your odds aren't good" would've been enough without rubbing salt in the wound. You're an endocrine-fellow now & I hope you don't tell diabetics with A1C of 13 & multiple foot ulcers that amputation is the only thing that can happen.

Members don't see this ad.

rokshana, I hate to say it but after seeing how cruel & elitist you've been to some residency-applicants on valuemd, I'm glad that wagy27's elitist posts have struck a chord with you.

I get that you try to be realistic for people. But I remember seeing one of your posts and you told a visa-needing IMG with a CS-fail that he had "a snowball's chance in hell" of matching. Way harsh. A "your odds aren't good" would've been enough without rubbing salt in the wound. You're an endocrine-fellow now & I hope you don't tell diabetics with A1C of 13 & multiple foot ulcers that amputation is the only thing that can happen.

bet you believe every kid in a contest is a "winner" too, right?
it is what it is…getting a residency spot is not an easy thing, period…for IMGs its getting harder and harder…don't believe me…go back to vmd and see what is being posted in the interview threads…you either have rock star scores and are getting a good number or you are freaking out because its december and you have 2-3 interviews…have more red flags and it is near neigh impossible for an IMG to get interviews…CS for good or bad is looked upon by PDs as a bellweather for the quality of an IMG (even if they were born and raised in the US and know no other language than English).

and I don't have to tell the pt that….the vascular surgeon has done the honors already...

Timely rejections. Seriously. I would think sending rejections would save PCs hundreds of phone calls and emails each year.

I guess that's the program, and not the NRMP, but it doesn't seem very professional.

bet you bid in a contest is a "winner" too, right?
it is what it is…getting a residency spot is not an easy thing, period…for IMGs its getting harder and harder…don't believe me…go back to vmd and see what is being posted in the interview threads…you either have rock star scores and are getting a good number or you are freaking out because its december and you have 2-3 interviews…have more red flags and it is near neigh impossible for an IMG to get interviews…CS for good or bad ivisa-needing indian oked upon by PDs as a bellweather for the quality of an IMG (even if they were born and raised in the US and know no other language than English).

and I don't have to tell the pt that….the vascular surgeon has done the honors already...

Not every kid in a contest is a winner. But I don't tell obese kid standing at the starting post for the 100-meter dash theyre going to get destroyed either. There's a happy medium and you might come off less antagonistic if you try it. I'm not arguing with your view on cs - its accurate. Just that you might think about bring less harsh about how you say it.

Imgs with 3 IVs in FM have about a 50% chance of matching, BTW. So while its not as good as 20+ IVs, its not a hopeless situation either.

100% of people I surveyed just now agree that the match would be better if I were guaranteed my first choice.

Reactions: 2 users