How can US Pharmacists practice in Canada?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

The pay appear much lower in Canada, now made worse with the dollar strengthening.
Oh wow didn't know that. I'm thinking about one of the suburban or rural areas anyways though. I think it's a good back up plan anyways in case I can't find a good job in a desirable area in the USA
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
This has been addressed elsewhere on the board recently. Is your first pharmacy degree between 1994 and Dec. 2004? The rules are different for that group and it was easier for us on both sides of the border to earn a license on the other side without spending much more effort than studying for the exams across the border.

Anyone else, you have to deal with PEBC and by province, doing practical hours and other annoyances, and that isn't a joke. Comparing the PEBC exam to the BCNP one, I thought the science portion was tougher on the PEBC PQE as I forgot too much of my analytical and physical chemistry when I took the multiple choice. For the practical portion, PQE is easier than the practical boards I took for MN and WI. If you are going up there as faculty, they make the process much easier, but you sign a contract to stay resident there for at least five years.

By the way, the salary across the border is somewhere between $65 and $70k US dollars (CAN$ 90-92k) at present with a more punishing tax scheme and a much higher cost of living (think upstate MN/NY grocery prices and housing and double them). Effectively, you might as well be making $50k US in which case, you might want to consider some other career option unless you're going up there to protest the US Government (hint: the Canadians for their sensibilities inherit more Dominion law from the UK than the US which means that political protests that would be ok here would not be legally acceptable there).
 
Last edited:
Oh wow didn't know that. I'm thinking about one of the suburban or rural areas anyways though. I think it's a good back up plan anyways in case I can't find a good job in a desirable area in the USA
The job market is worse in Canada.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk