how can you tell the difference between a scabies infection vs impetigo?

Started by dermy
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

dermy

New Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone know how they differ clinically? i have a patient with skin lesions and two different physicians diagnosed the patient differently.
how can you tell?

also, is furunculosis/furuncle a type of impetigo? the text "practical dermatopathology" said they are variations of impetigo, but i could not find it saying that anywhere on the internet... so is a furuncle a type of impetigo or what??

thanks
 
Scabies is apparently hard to diagnose. I went to three physicians when I caught scabies in undergrad. None of them diagnosed me with scabies. One even told me only prostitutes in third world countries get scabies.

With scabies you itch, itch and itch. The itching is so bad at night that sleeping pills are not strong enough to keep you asleep. I never had any blisters from scabies which I believe is a sign of impetigo. Scabies is more of a rash. Usually in crevices where its moist: between the legs, elbow pits, underarms, behind the knees. You know its scabies when they start feeding on you all night long!
 
Also, I could actually see the scabies on my skin. That is how I finally diagnosed myself.

Good luck.