How close are actual MCAT score to the AAMC Full lengths?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fnc54

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Are these scores expected to be similar? The aamc fls seemed easier than the third party ones. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Are these scores expected to be similar? The aamc fls seemed easier than the third party ones. Thanks!

Just from what I heard about it/saw online on various spreadsheets, it seems like its pretty accurate. Most people tend to do like 2 or so points better on the real test compared to the average of aamc fls. Just my input though, anyone can correct me if needed

Range +/- 3 points usually 1-2 better.
Thanks. Do you happen to know how common a large drop is? I am testing next weekend and I am just very scared I will have a bad day and my score will drop off from the practice exams

Members don't see this ad :)
I took the first full length like 2 weeks before the real thing and got a 511. I took the second full length a week before and got a 515. I ended up getting a 514 on the real thing. So yes, it has some predictive power, assuming similar effort and mental capacity.

Yerkes-dodson law would point to a slight improvement from practice tests as long as you're not a nervous wreck while taking the test.

Reactions: 7 users
I took the first full length like 2 weeks before the real thing and got a 511. I took the second full length a week before and got a 515. I ended up getting a 514 on the real thing. So yes, it has some predictive power, assuming similar effort and mental capacity.
Like everyone else a week before the exam, I was irrationally questioning everything. I ended up scoring 2 pts higher than my FL average.

Reactions: 3 users
I've taken it twice so far.
Both times I've scored 2 points under what the FL predicted, but I'm still ecstatic about the score so it all worked out.

Most responses to your question will be based on a sample size of n = 1. I have tutored about 100 students over the last 3 years and so I have a bit more perspective. Many of my students score exactly at or 1-2 points above their average on AAMC 1 and 2. A small yet still significant amount drop by 1-2 points. Expect the test to be harder than AAMC1 and 2, more similar to the SB, but you'll still score +/- 1-3 points of the AAMC AVERAGE. Looking at the average is important--it is more predictive than one single score. Be prepared for a possible drop by getting yourself 2-3 points above your goal before taking the exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Most responses to your question will be based on a sample size of n = 1. I have tutored about 100 students over the last 3 years and so I have a bit more perspective. Many of my students score exactly at or 1-2 points above their average on AAMC 1 and 2. A small yet still significant amount drop by 1-2 points. Expect the test to be harder than AAMC1 and 2, more similar to the SB, but you'll still score +/- 1-3 points of the AAMC AVERAGE. Looking at the average is important--it is more predictive than one single score. Be prepared for a possible drop by getting yourself 2-3 points above your goal before taking the exam.

What advice would you give to someone who has been away from the prereqs for more than 5 years?

How far out are you from test date? I would recommend using the kaplan books. They go more in depth, so would be better review material for you.

Reactions: 1 users
How far out are you from test date? I would recommend using the kaplan books. They go more in depth, so would be better review material for you.

I don't know if you were responding to me but I haven't registered for the MCAT yet. I will look into getting the kaplan books to relearn all the subjects. I plan on taking the test in the summer next year.

What advice would you give to someone who has been away from the prereqs for more than 5 years?

Great question. I've worked with many such students, and first I would emphasize that nothing is unattainable just because you have been out of the loop for a while. However, you must be willing to put in a little extra work. Here are couple of points to think about:
  • The human brain automatically deprioritizes information that isn't reviewed. If you haven't been doing much to review basic science over those 5 years, you'll need to accept the fact that MUCH of it will be forgotten. Fortunately, it will come back to you somewhat faster, but you do need to be realistic. You cannot prepare for and achieve a 95th percentile score in the same time period someone can who just finished the prerequisites. I compare it to a hill. You have the same hill to climb, and everyone who reaches the top wins, but you are just starting a little lower on the hillside than some other folks.
  • Although I usually SHUN Content Review in favor of a much more "Practice Exam Focused" approach. Persons in your situation may need a little more time invested in content review. Still, however, the exam rewards you for critical thinking and the ability to answer AAMC-style experimental passages, the unique AAMC-style MCAT questions, etc.---so you can still do yourself harm by getting stuck too much on content.
  • Take and ANALYZE a ton of full-lengths. Regardless of your circumstance, good practice exams don't lie. I trust the AAMC and the Altius FLE exam scores to predict my students' scores reliably. Never go into the exam "hoping" for a jump. If your scores on FLEs aren't what you'd be happy with on the exam (usually + 1-2 points) then you just aren't ready to take the exam yet. Just keep studying until your scores get where they need to be.

Members don't see this ad :)

Gotcha. Sounds like a good idea. Since you're so far out from those classes, I would devote 4 or 5 months just going through those books, then like 2 months of focused practice and material cleanup. Each chapter in the kaplan books has concept reviews and short quizzes, so you can utilize those to cement your retention of each chapter.

For physics and chemistry, start memorizing all those equations a few months before the test. Those sections are infinitely easier when you have every equation and formula ready up your sleeve.

• I took a practice FL 3 days before my actual MCAT and ended up scoring +6 on the real thing. It's almost as unpredictable as medical school admissions.

To add to the variety of outcomes, I took a bunch of practice tests from Princeton Review and the two AAMC FL (with identical scores on both practice FLs despite weeks of studying between the two tests) and scored +9 on the real thing compared to the FL practice. I really went through all of my wrong answers in detail after each practice test which helped me a lot, but with a jump that big I think a big part of it is that the "big day"/real thing tends to really focus my mind and boost my performance, so it definitely depends in part on how you tend to feel on stressful, performance-based days.

That was definitely my experience. I scored between 2-6 pts higher on AAMC FL than Princeton Review practice tests.

Just a fair warning, I know people say that most people go up but there's definitely people who go down and there's a bit of reporting bias for the scores on here since mostly people who do well come back and comment. I personally dropped 5 points from my AAMCs (still pretty happy with my score) but n=1.

In order, all taken during last month of prep.

AAMC Sample: 511 (68%/91%/80%/81%)

AAMC FL1: 511 (125/130/127/129)

AAMC FL3: 514 (127/132/126/129)

AAMC FL2: 511 (126/130/128/127)

Actual: 514 (127/131/128/128)

I can wholeheartedly say the AAMC material is on-freakin-point. Conversely, I never scored above 504 in the other 5 practice tests I took (4 Altius, 1 NS).

I got a 504 on NS1 just one week before I took the sample. Never ever ever ever ever ever ever trust anything but AAMC.

I’m one of the outliers that scored way below my practice tests.

FL 1: 510
FL2: 512
FL3: 513

Real: 502. Safe to say I panicked which caused me to steer away from my strategies and confidence.

My real MCAT was 1 point higher that last full length (FL3 ~6 days before MCAT)

How did you do in the actual thing? I got a 515 on FL2 and it worries me because somehow I find it easier than any FL I've done (FL1 included)

How did you do in the actual thing? I got a 515 on FL2 and it worries me because somehow I find it easier than any FL I've done (FL1 included)

516 on real and I TANKED my best section. My CARS was always my best and I tanked it on the real deal. 515 on FL3