How closely do ADCOMS look at transcripts?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1077394
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

Deleted member 1077394

I am a senior this year. I am currently a double major - Biological Sciences and Psychology.

I can graduate a whole semester sooner by dropping the Biology major (7 classes remaining) and graduating with only the Psych major (2 classes remaining). That is quite advantageous for me financially and with my family. Had COVID never happened, I would have kept both majors, but things have certainly changed.

I know SDN wisdom is that major doesn't matter, but my hangup is the fact that I am a reinventor. I really struggled with a poorly controlled chronic illness my freshman and sophomore years and that had a negative effect on my grades. I have done really well my junior and senior years, taking 3-4 science classes per semester. However, I was a Chemistry major those freshman and sophomore years and so a lot of my poor grades were in BCPM classes like Chemistry or Calculus and my BCPM GPA is still lower than my cumulative.

I don't want the ADCOM to just quickly glance at my file and say, "A Psych major with a 3.4 sGPA and 3.6 cGPA = They can't handle science classes" without looking through the transcripts and seeing a lot of A's in 300- and 400-level Biology classes in my junior and senior reinvention years. I took 3 or 4 upper-level Bio classes every semester those junior and senior years and have gotten almost all A's.

If it matters, I am primarily applying DO.

Thank you. I just wanted to make sure I am not making a mistake.

Members don't see this ad.

I am a senior this year. I am currently a double major - Biological Sciences and Psychology.

I can graduate a whole semester sooner by dropping the Biology major (7 classes remaining) and graduating with only the Psych major (2 classes remaining). That is quite advantageous for me financially and with my family. Had COVID never happened, I would have kept both majors, but things have certainly changed.

I know SDN wisdom is that major doesn't matter, but my hangup is the fact that I am a reinventor. I really struggled with a poorly controlled chronic illness my freshman and sophomore years and that had a negative effect on my grades. I have done really well my junior and senior years, taking 3-4 science classes per semester. However, I was a Chemistry major those freshman and sophomore years and so a lot of my poor grades were in BCPM classes like Chemistry or Calculus and my BCPM GPA is still lower than my cumulative.

I don't want the ADCOM to just quickly glance at my file and say, "A Psych major with a 3.4 sGPA and 3.6 cGPA = They can't handle science classes" without looking through the transcripts and seeing a lot of A's in 300- and 400-level Biology classes in my junior and senior reinvention years. I took 3 or 4 upper-level Bio classes every semester those junior and senior years and have gotten almost all A's.

You're not making a mistake. Adcoms look at transcripts very closely. Along with MCATs, they are the single most important metric in an application, even in a world of holistic reviews. That said, 3.6/3.4 is very acceptable for DO, so you just don't need the extra 21 credits, unless you want to be competitive for MD. Good luck!!!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for your speedy and very helpful reply, @KnightDoc. :) I really appreciate it.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
The exam classes could help boost your AMCAS GPA. A 3.6 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA are both below average for allopathic medical school matriculants.

Reactions: 1 users
With Step 1 going pass/fail, I would try to get into an allopathic program. Your transcript is not beyond repair for MD purposes. You would be competitive as a DO candidate as is.

Reactions: 2 users

Adcoms at schools that reward reinvention do not think that way. In fact a number of schools will give more weight to your last two years then your entire GPA.

Reactions: 1 users
I actually got into my top choice MD school with your EXACT stats- a 3.6 cGPA and 3.4 sGPA so don't give up hope by any means!! (non-URM, CA resident, non-science major 516 mcat)
In my case, I really do feel that the admissions committee likely saw that I had a strong upward trend and that most of my B-s were from my freshman year. I don't know if you have taken the MCAT yet, but if you have not, take the time off and really go all-in when studying for the mcat. I feel like a really good mcat score and an upward trend will really overshadow the fact that the science gpa is on the lower end of accepted applicants.

Consider the time and money that you saved from dropping the bio major as an investment in mcat study prep materials, I think that the mcat can be a great opportunity for students such as me and you that started out college with a rocky start, but eventually found a very strong footing.

Best of luck!!!

Reactions: 3 users
With Step 1 going pass/fail, I would try to get into an allopathic program. Your transcript is not beyond repair for MD purposes. You would be competitive as a DO candidate as is.

I certainly agree with you and originally, this was my plan. It's a money thing that is making me need to graduate sooner and apply DO only as a result.

Thank you very much for listening and offering your replies. :) I genuinely appreciate it. :)

I certainly agree with you and originally, this was my plan. It's a money thing that is making me need to graduate sooner and apply DO only as a result.

Thank you very much for listening and offering your replies. :) I genuinely appreciate it. :)

I understand and that is a personal decision. In formulating your decision, also consider the potential pay disparities in DO v. MD.

I understand and that is a personal decision. In formulating your decision, also consider the potential pay disparities in DO v. MD.
What are you talking about? They get the same pay for the same job.

Reactions: 3 users
What are you talking about? They get the same pay for the same job.

When interviewing for best paying positions, who is more likely to get the job all other factors equal (MD v. DO)?

Thank you all so much for taking the time out of your days to help me out. :) You guys are so giving. :)

Adcoms go over your transcript with a fine tooth comb. Mark my words.
Don't lie.

Adcoms go over your transcript with a fine tooth comb. Mark my words.
Don't lie.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was by no stretch of the imagination planning to lie. I wanted to make sure they saw my science class reinvention instead of only looking at the overall number.

I think you misunderstood my post. I was by no stretch of the imagination planning to lie. I wanted to make sure they saw my science class reinvention instead of only looking at the overall number.
Ah I see