how come and ortho is THE most difficult residency to get into?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

petersmith

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
why is it that ortho is the most competitive residency to get into? is it the status, the money, prestige, i really cannot understand it.. ortho is great, but why is prostho easier? and oral surgery or endo? r they difficult to get into for which reasons?

Members don't see this ad.

why is it that ortho is the most competitive residency to get into? is it the status, the money, prestige, i really cannot understand it.. ortho is great, but why is prostho easier? and oral surgery or endo? r they difficult to get into for which reasons?

Males want OS, both males and females want ortho, hence ortho is more competitive. It's for *******

Who says ortho is the most competitive to get into?

Members don't see this ad :)
Ortho is kind of unique because there is lots of passive income (active tx plans) whereas OMS, Perio, Prosth you are only making $$ when you are working. I suppose you could say Perio, Prosth have hygienist working so thats somewhat passive income but not like ortho. Ortho is almost like its own little capitation plan. :p

Hmmm....... I heard endodontists saying that endo is the hardest specialty to get into these days :D

don't mean to take away from the original OP, but this question does pertain to ortho. Who is a bigger asset to have on your side, the chair of the ortho program or the program director. I have an excellent relationship with the PD, but a so-so (albeit 'pleasant') relationship with the chair. Who ultimately has more pull with interviews, admissions, etc. ?
thanks

whoever knows more people in high places -- that could be the PD or the chair. heck, a 2 day a week clinical attending could have more pull if he/she happens to have friends in high places.

anyway, i assume you're talking about getting LOR's, in which case why not ask both for them?

don't mean to take away from the original OP, but this question does pertain to ortho. Who is a bigger asset to have on your side, the chair of the ortho program or the program director. I have an excellent relationship with the PD, but a so-so (albeit 'pleasant') relationship with the chair. Who ultimately has more pull with interviews, admissions, etc. ?
thanks

thanks

they will both be reviewing your application most likely, so dont sweat it. usually these things are done by votes.

It is likely that the Program Director selects the new reisdents while the Chair handles more "important" stuff--my bet is suck up to the Program Director!