How Common does a Good Student Perform Poorly on Boards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surfguy84

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Second year student here. Averaging high 80s to low 90s on tests..bounce between top third and top quarter of the class. Never cram, study a ton.

Reviewing materials and feel as though I know nothing, which is creating a lot of anxiety about boards coming up in June. Anyone know how likely it is that good students perform poorly on boards? Part of me feels like I'm good at performing well on tests, but suck at long-term retention. Anyone else in my boat or have any anecdotal accounts worth sharing?

Members don't see this ad.

It happens. Being a good student gives you a solid foundation for when you're doing board prep, but is no substitution for board prep.

Reactions: 2 users
June's a long time from now, and studying for boards will help with the long-term retention, since so far you've probably been doing the cram-and-dump study method most of us resort to. As Mad Jack said, it happens, but as long as you have a decent foundation and then have a solid study plan (aka don't rest on your laurels because you've done well so far), you should be fine.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Happened to me. Control your mental status to the best of your abilities. I suggest getting support now so you're not scrambling last minute like I did. My score suffered as a result and now I am limited in what I can and cannot do.

Yes, it happens, but if you see it happening to you get it under control now.

Happened to me. Control your mental status to the best of your abilities. I suggest getting support now so you're not scrambling last minute like I did. My score suffered as a result and now I am limited in what I can and cannot do.

Yes, it happens, but if you see it happening to you get it under control now.

Any recommendations as to what I can do right now?

My plan was to start board studying over winter break and then really use my 4-5 weeks to follow an intensive study plan. Do you think I should start board studying now?

I'm also a 2nd year. I've been using Rx during breaks in my block to review MSK/Neuro (1st year blocks). Nothing crazy, just really helps keep old information fresh and Rx interface really lets reviewing FA topics easy and interactive. E.g. is the first few days post-exam, I'll spend a few hours a day doing questions. But I think it's important not to get carried away, because we still have things to learn that are 1st pass. Just for some input on your situation...

it's not uncommon. To do well on boards, study for boards. To do well in class, study the class material. This isn't to say that they're completely mutually exclusive but there will be certainly some aspects of your class curriculum that won't be as high yield.

Reactions: 1 users
In my school's experience, very rarely. These failures happen when outlife life events hit the students right before Boards.

You have nothing to worry about. Do I need to send you some Xanax bars?

You really know a lot more than you think you do. Have some faith in yourself.

Teaching moment: the people who fail COMLEX are typically poor students, who are only to do happy to skate by and barely pass. They also tend to have poor work ethics, and poor time mgt skills, even after two years in med school!

Second year student here. Averaging high 80s to low 90s on tests..bounce between top third and top quarter of the class. Never cram, study a ton.

Reviewing materials and feel as though I know nothing, which is creating a lot of anxiety about boards coming up in June. Anyone know how likely it is that good students perform poorly on boards? Part of me feels like I'm good at performing well on tests, but suck at long-term retention. Anyone else in my boat or have any anecdotal accounts worth sharing?

Reactions: 3 users
You can start reviewing your oldest material now to see what's familiar, and what isn't. Taking as many practice questions as you can, especially from COMBANK or Uworld and its clones is always helpful.

I usually tell my students to start boards prep over the Xmas break.

Any recommendations as to what I can do right now?

My plan was to start board studying over winter break and then really use my 4-5 weeks to follow an intensive study plan. Do you think I should start board studying now?

I usually tell my students to start boards prep over the Xanax break.
Well, at least that's what I thought you said there

The answer to that question as well as most is "it depends". If you are using your texts/lectures and supplementing with some questions and or a review book you are likely totally fine-- great even.

However, there seems to be an element at many programs that uses passed down test questions from prior students to study and learn what is on the tests instead of learning the material and hiding this material to break the curve. (Not sure this is DO specific but all schools I have seen it in thus far are unfortunately ours). This is Borderline cheating. In this case not so much.

Do not worry about the feeling of ignorance- it never goes away and is usually never really true.

Best of luck

Members don't see this ad :)
While we do have old test questions floating around for the students to look at, our currents questions are banked and not given back after exams. My students don't seem to rely only on old questions. We also don't curve.

Something else for OP. When polled, students who do well on Boards (both MD and DO) always states that they use a wide variety of resources for Board prep. It is very uncommon to rely on PPT files alone, but weaker students use this as thier sole strategy for coursework.

The moral is: for success in med school, use as many resources as possible!

However, there seems to be an element at many programs that uses passed down test questions from prior students to study and learn what is on the tests instead of learning the material and hiding this material to break the curve. (Not sure this is DO specific but all schools I have seen it in thus far are unfortunately ours). This is Borderline cheating. In this case not so much.

Do not worry about the feeling of ignorance- it never goes away and is usually never really true.

Best of luck

While we do have old test questions floating around for the students to look at, our currents questions are banked and not given back after exams. My students don't seem to rely only on old questions. We also don't curve.

Something else for OP. When polled, students who do well on Boards (both MD and DO) always states that they use a wide variety of resources for Board prep. It is very uncommon to rely on PPT files alone, but weaker students use this as thier sole strategy for coursework.

The moral is: for success in med school, use as many resources as possible!

In my experience, I've found I don't really have time for multiple resources for each subject. Some classes I rely strictly on powerpoints, others I use another resource that I like better -- but not usually both.

But we also have mandatory attendance so I'm sure other schools with less ridiculous policies have more time.

Even at my school students that get good grades at my school pass boards. However the trend seems to be good grades do not correlate to strong scores just passing scores. Grades also have no good correlation with any USMLE performance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I'm also a 2nd year. I've been using Rx during breaks in my block to review MSK/Neuro (1st year blocks). Nothing crazy, just really helps keep old information fresh and Rx interface really lets reviewing FA topics easy and interactive. E.g. is the first few days post-exam, I'll spend a few hours a day doing questions. But I think it's important not to get carried away, because we still have things to learn that are 1st pass. Just for some input on your situation...
do you use uworld also? not sure if i should get rx or uworld...

do you use uworld also? not sure if i should get rx or uworld...

if you're buying one then UW. My plan is to move onto that once I've finished Rx. I figured this would be a good introductory Qbank, and I heard UW was much harder. Honestly I don't think it matters, just do questions lol because that's what has been working for people.

Even at my school students that get good grades at my school pass boards. However the trend seems to be good grades do not correlate to strong scores just passing scores. Grades also have no good correlation with any USMLE performance

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
there needs to be more realization and awareness of this

it's not uncommon. To do well on boards, study for boards. To do well in class, study the class material. This isn't to say that they're completely mutually exclusive but there will be certainly some aspects of your class curriculum that won't be as high yield.

+1, this is why i personally think firecracker is a good idea

Have you already introduced a qbank into your studying? I think that when I started doing that is when I realized I knew a lot more than I thought. Questions are not always answered by recall but also by process of elimination and intuition.

+1, this is why i personally think firecracker is a good idea
I used FC, and while it did maintain many things fresh and I'd say the bulk of my knowledge was from it, it was also a time drain because it forced a lot of stuff that was low-yield into studying. It's better to be 100% on HY material than to be 50/50 on HY/LY. I've heard of flash fact cards by Rx. I never used them, but I definitely would look into them because memorizing FA is worth more than anything else.