1. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

How common is it to meet with adcom BEFORE you apply?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by DrSal, Apr 6, 2004.

1. DrSal

DrSal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I just want to know if meeting with an adcom member before you apply to just go over your application is 1) common, 2) means anything in terms of your chances at a particular school...

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. periodic

periodic Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

1) I haven't heard of it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen though. I've only heard of "officially" speaking with adcom members about your application if you are applying early: my premed advisor said you should meet with the dean of admissions if you're considering it, and unless they virtually guarantee your acceptance, don't apply early.

2) I would say don't try to read too much into it other than some (hopefully) solid advice about your application. One thing many people learn on the interview trail is that, as much as one or two interviewers/adcom members may like you, the decision still lies with the entire adcom, one that's trying to create a class, not just select individuals in isolation.

In any case, it can only be a good thing. Try and get some useful information, but don't put too much stock in what any one person says (including me...).

4. Pedonc

Pedonc Member
    10+ Year Member

It probably depends on the school, but at the school I will be going to the dean of admissions is more than happy to speak to prospective applicants. All you have to do is call his office and make the appointment. However, he will not meet with you casually once you have submitted AMCAS. I found it to be very relaxing, and he gave me lots of advice about what he is looking for in applicants and ways to make my application stronger.

5. fullefect1

fullefect1 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

6. DrSal

DrSal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

7. Deuteronomy

Deuteronomy Member
    7+ Year Member

it does happen, but only in EDP scenarios where the dean examines your record AND your personality/traits (i.e. its like conducting a pre-interview with you).

If they don't like you, he/she says take a chance or maybe you'll get in.

If they like you, he/she says go ahead and apply, I'm sure you'll get accepted.

8. missbonnie

missbonnie floating
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was able to meet with Mr Silverman before applying to Yale. EVen went on the tour with the current interview crew. I went with a girlfriend of mine who's since been accepted to Yale and I was waitlist.

Not sure what it did for me, But he did take notes.

I just called the office and asked if I could visit cuz Yale was at the top of my list when picking schools to apply.

bonnie

9. DrSal

DrSal Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks for your responses. I guess it helped some of you. A friend of mine was telling that she was going to meet with an adcom member and i just wanted to know if it's something i should look into.

Anyone else?