How common is it to score >90th percentile on all shelf exams?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lugosi

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do most people who score >90th percentile do it consistently across shelf exams? Curious because somebody recommended I put this as one of my 3 "notable characteristics" in ERAS...lol. I would prefer to save that space for something unique, but it got me wondering if it's actually worth restating that I had several 99th/100th percentile scores because that info is buried deep in my eval comments, or not stated at all. It's also slightly inconsistent with my mid-240s step 1 score thanks to a really bad day.

Members don't see this ad.

Given your very poor step one score of 240 we'll need more information. Did you achieve top 5% class rank, or tragically only top 10%? Do you fail to lead no less than 7 clubs in M1/M2? Any documented cases of successful CPR on corpses your attendings had already called?

Reactions: 11 users
Haha definitely revived several corpses from the dead as an M3. Shockingly, still didn't manage to make AOA.

I do recognize that this sounds neurotic, but my application is otherwise not that impressive and the actual percentiles are not stated in my evals (it just says >90th percentile), so I'm seriously wondering if this is something worth emphasizing.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Do most people who score >90th percentile do it consistently across shelf exams? Curious because somebody recommended I put this as one of my 3 "notable characteristics" in ERAS...lol. I would prefer to save that space for something unique, but it got me wondering if it's actually worth restating that I had several 99th/100th percentile scores because that info is buried deep in my eval comments, or not stated at all. It's also slightly inconsistent with my mid-240s step 1 score thanks to a really bad day.

Personally, I would put "smarter than every other med student ever" instead of just stating the puny number 99, which is less than 100 and therefore a failure.

Also, 0/10.

Reactions: 3 users
Lmao.. these people are brutal..

Honestly, I would go for it. 99/100th percentile is just outrageously high and completely discrepant with your 240 Step score - which is definitely a good score lol but why not increase it's power

It can't hurt you by putting it. But if you don't put it, they'll never know.

Plus, honoring multiple exams shows consistency rather than a one time step score (high standard deviation)

I say put it!!

Reactions: 1 user
hC7625C52

Old, but relevant. I'm curious if for DO schools >90 on the shelf even means the same as it does at an MD school. As far as I know, a significant number of DO programs still refuse to adopt an honors system during the clinical years and depending on the curriculum, the shelf may only be worth a fraction of the end grade and even a >90 doesn't ensure high marks.

hC7625C52

Old, but relevant. I'm curious if for DO schools >90 on the shelf even means the same as it does at an MD school. As far as I know, a significant number of DO programs still refuse to adopt an honors system during the clinical years and depending on the curriculum, the shelf may only be worth a fraction of the end grade and even a >90 doesn't ensure high marks.
At my school the clerk ships are broken down 40% shelf, 40% attending grade, 20% class work grade.

At my school the clerk ships are broken down 40% shelf, 40% attending grade, 20% class work grade.

Lol. I go to an MD school and the shelf is usually only worth ~20% of our grade. The preceptor eval is worth a lot more. Hence why I was wondering if I should mention my shelf grades, because they are way better than my actual rotation grades, which don't always turn out honors although I have high shelf scores. Get stuck with a preceptor who always gives out straight "average" and your overall grade becomes meaningless. You could literally score 100 on the shelf and end up with a 70 as your overall grade. The shelf grade isn't stated anywhere on our transcript so no one would even know. Sucks man.

Haha definitely revived several corpses from the dead as an M3. Shockingly, still didn't manage to make AOA.

I do recognize that this sounds neurotic, but my application is otherwise not that impressive and the actual percentiles are not stated in my evals (it just says >90th percentile), so I'm seriously wondering if this is something worth emphasizing.
These people are giving you your answer in a roundabout way: don't do this, unless you want residency programs to think you're arrogant.

If you want to prove you're test-smart, take step 2 CK and score as well as you did on your shelf exams. We'll notice the 270+ score--it'll be front an center on your application.

It's impressive, congrats, but hopefully it's not the most interesting thing about you. Having this be one of the things you highlight is more likely to come off as arrogant than anything else. Let your grades speak for themselves.

Super common in you’re from a top-10 highly prestigious school!

You scored mid 240s on step one. I get it you’re a good test taker.

Highlighting your shelf scores just makes you come off as neurotic...and also boring. Some residencies are actually interested in you as a person.