How common is this?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cool_vkb

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing thru the old archives. And i came across this thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=286004&highlight=dermatology

DPMgrad posted in this thread that there is a TUSPM Proff, Dr. harvey lemont is the only podiatrist to be board certified by MD dermatology board in Dermopathology.

Iam just wondering how is this possible? why would MD dermatology board certify a DPM. and how common are these things. And does this mean, he gets more reimubursment than other DPM because he is board certified by MD board or is it more like an achievement and not really anything of use.

Members don't see this ad.

I was browsing thru the old archives. And i came across this thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=286004&highlight=dermatology

DPMgrad posted in this thread that there is a TUSPM Proff, Dr. harvey lemont is the only podiatrist to be board certified by MD dermatology board in Dermopathology.

Iam just wondering how is this possible? why would MD dermatology board certify a DPM. and how common are these things. And does this mean, he gets more reimubursment than other DPM because he is board certified by MD board or is it more like an achievement and not really anything of use.

Harvey Lemont is not your average DPM. He is a podiatric pathologist. His resume includes a fellowship in dermatopathology and graduate training in bone and joint pathology.

I'm not as shock by him being recognized by an MD board. I think that podiatry in general could learn from Dr. Lemont. You don't invite yourself to dinner. By that I mean, you don't demand this that and another. Instead you work hard and let your accomplishments speak for themselves and when the time comes, you are invited to "dinner."

I also doubt that he gets paid differently.

Harvey Lemont is not your average DPM. He is a podiatric pathologist. His resume includes a fellowship in dermatopathology and graduate training in bone and joint pathology...
Yep^

DPMs as dermatopathologists aren't very common because it does take specialized training and there is a limited market for it. Due to CME and younger DPMs coming out of longer residencies, I have a feeling that podiatry will be doing more biopsies, excisions, wound care, research, etc and treating more skin conditions which they previously used to refer out almost automatically. That is where dermatopathology consults come in and can be invaluable.

Still, it's definetly the exception and not the norm. I'd imagine it's pretty darn hard to get into the field, and the guys mentioned in that linked thread (LeMont, Dockery, Markinson) are very highly trained and excellent at what they do. It's certainly not as if they fall into those roles by accident. Here's another of the "big dogs" in the subspecialty, and you can see the extensive PG work he put in to get his status:
http://www.ameripath.com/healthcare/derm/bakotic_cv.htm

Members don't see this ad :)
Yep^

Here's another of the "big dogs" in the subspecialty, and you can see the extensive PG work he put in to get his status:

Yeah but this guy (on the webpage given) is a DO also. and he did regular Pathology residencies. So thats not amazement.

But Dr.Harvey lemont is really amazing. may god bless him. wow Temple Univ kids are pretty lucky in having this Prof.

... Here's another of the "big dogs" in the subspecialty, and you can see the extensive PG work he put in to get his status:
Yeah but this guy (on the webpage given) is a DO also. and (Dr. Bakotic) did regular Pathology residencies. So thats not amazement.

But Dr.Harvey lemont is really amazing. may god bless him. wow Temple Univ kids are pretty lucky in having this Prof.
I guess we're pretty lucky to have Dr. Bakotic teaching us derm and podiatric path here at Barry then too? ;) Dr. Bakotic's a smart and hard working guy. Some students here aren't the biggest fans of him since he tests us hard, but I like the challenge and feel my knowledge of the subjects is much better in the end because of that.

I'm sure they both just took the career path they though would lead him to their goals. Both are at the pinnacle of the profession.

I guess we're pretty lucky to have Dr. Bakotic teaching us derm and podiatric path here at Barry then too? ;) Dr. Bakotic's a smart and hard working guy. Some students here aren't the biggest fans of him since he tests us hard, but I like the challenge and feel my knowledge of the subjects is much better in the end because of that.

I'm sure they both just took the career path they though would lead him to their goals. Both are at the pinnacle of the profession.

Hey did he did any residency (PMS -24 or PMS-36) in podiatric medicine also. because on his webpage it showed, DPM, DO and then residency in Clinical & Antaomical pathology followed by fellowship in Dermapathology.

Hey did he did any residency (PMS -24 or PMS-36) in podiatric medicine also. because on his webpage it showed, DPM, DO and then residency in Clinical & Antaomical pathology followed by fellowship in Dermapathology.
To me, it sure looks like Dr. Bakotic graduated with a DPM, then started DO school right away. I doubt that he ever did a podiatry residency because his goal wasn't ever to be seeing patients or doing surgery like most DPMs do. My impression is that he was most interested in the histo and path lab aspect all along.

I'm kinda just guessing, though. Maybe just email him and ask... he's a nice guy and extremely strong lecturer (he does national conferences, CMEs, and skill workshops in addition to running his path lab and teaching at Barry). He's very busy though, so a word to the wise would be to probably not bug him too much and not be surprised if he takes a lil while to get back to you.