most common conditions treated by pods

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iceman69

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Besides bunions, hammertoes, warts, plantar facisitis what are the most common conditions treated by pods?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi guys,

Besides bunions, hammertoes, warts, plantar facisitis what are the most common conditions treated by pods?

diabetic foot infections
flatfeet (hyper-pronation)
sprained ankles
fifth metatarsal fractures
toe fractures
neuromas
in grown nails

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm more interested in the complicated reconstructive rear foot and ankle procedure that pods are doing more and more of these days, not the more common stuff. That's why I asked. You're right ignorance is bliss...

I'm more interested in the complicated reconstructive rear foot and ankle procedure that pods are doing more and more of these days, not the more common stuff. That's why I asked. You're right ignorance is bliss...

sorry, couldn't resist...

Well, depending on where you're trained (this matters a lot), you could be doing a lot of Diabetic reconstructive cases. There are several texts and articles written by DPM's who detail exactly what they've done and the new techniques they enspouse(sp). AGain, this can be rearfoot, midfoot, or ankle reconstruction. But I wouldn't say it's the "most" common. This is definitely occurring more and more today as the trend of DM rises within America.

Rheumatoid arthritis is often forgotten as is post-traumatic arthritic cases as some more complicated cases, and these patients will walk in the door feeling like there's no hope for their cause. You should see the look of a patient after you offer them hope.

probably the best thing about being a DPM is the direct patient care we offer. Pods see a problem and can fix it. We don't necessarily medically manage a problem, we treat it, usually treating the deformity or issue directly. It's very rewarding knowing that the impact you can have on a patient, especially after hearing how nobody else wanted to take care of them. I know we are not the only specialty that offers this kind of hope, but we are uniquely in a position to be trained specifically in the foot & ankle where we are usually the "gatekeepers" (famous Armstrong quote).

There are other complicated stuff and if you'd like to talk more, send me a message here or on facebook. I tend to get on a sidetrack-soapbox on these forums. Good luck!

The most common rearfoot/ankle sx I probably see where I am training is the ankle fracture. We fix a good amount of those. Calc fractures and achilles ruptures seem to be more seasonal in the spring/summer when people are outside and more active (although we did do a few achilles repairs this last week). A good amount of Lis Franc injuries come our way as well. A lot of rearfoot stuff is done with flat foot recons as well.

Stafocker is right. What you see and do generally depends a lot on where you train/trained.

where are the good places to get trained at? I want to make sure that I can have the skills to do the complicated reconstructive procedures to take care of ankle fractures, and other fractures of the foot? The only good place I know is the residency in Portland, OR. I shadowed a pod who graduated from there about 2-3 years ago. He also went to Scholl.

where are the good places to get trained at? I want to make sure that I can have the skills to do the complicated reconstructive procedures to take care of ankle fractures, and other fractures of the foot? The only good place I know is the residency in Portland, OR. I shadowed a pod who graduated from there about 2-3 years ago. He also went to Scholl.

Hey, I think "NatCH" an attending is from there (Portland). He's in the Resident/Attendings Forum and usually posts there.

Everyone has opinions but here's the list of programs:

http://www.casprcrip.org/html/casprcrip/directory.asp

One of my friends went the Legacy Portland Program, he loves it out there, but it's only 2-3 ppl per year. If you're looking for west coast programs, Seattle has a good program (2 of my buddies are there) and Cali has a TON of great programs.

Look in the Resident/Attending forum for the debate. Just get in first, do well in school, then the programs will be recruiting you instead of the other way around, haha!

Good luck

I noticed on those program descriptions they require letters of rec. Where do these programs expect letters of rec to come from? directors or other professionals at externship locations during the 4th year?

They dont seem to be to specific, at least on these one page descriptions, unlike applying to pod and other med schools.

Where did you guys find good places to hunt for letters of rec at to use towards resident placements?

And also, what do MATCH ONLY programs mean. Do you not just apply to these programs during your 4th year? I see some of them require you to have done an externship there before you apply, thats not what they mean by match right?

alrighty thanks!

as far as pods doing ankle work, do any do total ankle replacements? what states would allow a pod to do a TAR?

as far as pods doing ankle work, do any do total ankle replacements? what states would allow a pod to do a TAR?

yes pods to total ankles.

if the scope does not include ankles you can not do them, if the scope includes ankles you can do them as long as the law does not specifically say that you cannot.

And even if a law says you can do something you need the hospital to grant you the privledges (sp?)

hospitals can grant a pod privileges to do procedures not allowed by state law? how does that work?

From my understanding, each state has their own scope of practice what dictates what you can and cannot do. However, each hospital has their own by-laws of what procedures the podiatrist can and cannot do. Even states that have ankle in the scope of practice, a certain hospital can say "pods cannot treat ankle fractures here." It's not like the hospital is allowed to or will grant you a LARGER scope of practice than the particular state allows.

Also, (hypothetically) if new york state changes the scope of practice next year to include ankle surgery...the individual hospitals within new york have to change their own by-laws to allow pods to do these procedures. This will not happen overnight and you will probably have some hospitals not granting ankle surgery for a while.

For all the practicing pods and residents out there, please correct me if I'm wrong.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm honestly still just amazed that NY is one of only a few states that doesn't allow pods to do ankles. For a state that claims to be so up-to-date, they sure missed the boat on this one.

Do any NY'ers know what the current issues are? I find it comical that pods drive across a bridge (NJ) and SUDDENLY, they are miraculously qualified to do ankles:laugh:

Get with the program NY!

I'm honestly still just amazed that NY is one of only a few states that doesn't allow pods to do ankles. For a state that claims to be so up-to-date, they sure missed the boat on this one.

Do any NY'ers know what the current issues are? I find it comical that pods drive across a bridge (NJ) and SUDDENLY, they are miraculously qualified to do ankles:laugh:

Get with the program NY!

Agreed!

however, there are pods that are making great strides in NY. At the "hospital for special surgery in NY" (#1 orthopod hospital in the nation according to US NEWS), the pods on staff have published a few books and articles on clinical treatments.

NY does need to get into the 21st century, but DPM's are still contributing and making a good name for themselves in the great state of NY. I personally wouldn't practice there, but those that are there, are still making the best out of a tough position.

Agreed!

however, there are pods that are making great strides in NY. At the "hospital for special surgery in NY" (#1 orthopod hospital in the nation according to US NEWS), the pods on staff have published a few books and articles on clinical treatments.

NY does need to get into the 21st century, but DPM's are still contributing and making a good name for themselves in the great state of NY. I personally wouldn't practice there, but those that are there, are still making the best out of a tough position.

I'm not 100% sure but I think most of the pods on staff at hospital for special surgery are non-surgical.

The laws in NY are formed by the lobbyists for the orthopods. The orthopods that run the state society for NY are old and not up to date with our training. It will take a long time for the new younger orthopods to take over and help change things.

As long as the older orthopods are running the show things will not change any time soon in NY. It does not matter how much it is preached to them that the training has changed - they do not believe it.

Who wants to live in NY anyways??

ducks and covers after the Texas debacle..:laugh:

I'm not 100% sure but I think most of the pods on staff at hospital for special surgery are non-surgical.

yeah, they're non-surgical staff. the book is on Ultrasound/radiology of the foot and ankle, and most the articles are non-surgery related.

so what are the odds that a PMS-36 grad can do TAR, and assorted ankle work, in addition to complicated rear foot cases? Are the odds good if you're trained to do such work? Or does it depend on where you work?

so what are the odds that a PMS-36 grad can do TAR, and assorted ankle work, in addition to complicated rear foot cases? Are the odds good if you're trained to do such work? Or does it depend on where you work?

To maximize your odds and reduce barriers, perhaps it'd be worth your while to assess if you could go the Orthopedic Surgery route? Not saying one profession is better than the other, but if you are interested mainly in ankles and not forefoot then Ortho has few (any?) political barriers to the ankle.

Nat

NatCh right.

Well, with Depuy you first need to be rearfoot certified via ABPS (someone check that for me?) before you can use theirs. You gotta get the manufacturer to let you use their product cause they can get sued by your sloppy ass if you mess up.

Thank you for the input. I was simply wondering if pods are able to do TARs regularly in practice since if I am trained to do such procedures I would like to be able to do them in practice. As such, I was wondering what areas of the country are most accepting podiatrists doing ankle work in addition to foot care.

Thank you for the input. I was simply wondering if pods are able to do TARs regularly in practice since if I am trained to do such procedures I would like to be able to do them in practice. As such, I was wondering what areas of the country are most accepting podiatrists doing ankle work in addition to foot care.

Basically, any state that has ankle within the scope of practice for Podiatry. As krabmas and jewmongous stated, you will need to check each individual hospitals about the privileges. For example, Pennsylvania scope of practice for Podiatry is pretty generous and includes the ankle. However, not every hospital in greater metro area of Philadelphia (which includes all of the surrounding suburbs) will grant rearfoot privileges to DPMs (even if the DPM has the appropriate training) due to the hospital bylaws.

NatCh right.

Well, with Depuy you first need to be rearfoot certified via ABPS (someone check that for me?) before you can use theirs. You gotta get the manufacturer to let you use their product cause they can get sued by your sloppy ass if you mess up.

It is true that some of the companies may be picky as to whom they allow to use their implant. For example, Tornier Salto Talaris total ankle implant is offered to a select few foot and ankle orthopods to use. They are planning to expand to some DPMs soon.