How commonly do people spend more than 4 years in med school?

• Thread starter LoveBeingHuman:)
  • Start date
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
L

LoveBeingHuman:)

Of the ones that do, how many do it due to academic failure?

Members don't see this ad.

This is becoming much more common than before. Specifically, I was told at Yale that almost every student at this point takes a fifth year for research or a masters degree. It probably depends on the school, but any school that offers a free fifth year will probably have a high number of students do 5 years. Also, having a lot of research done during med school may make you more competitive for an impacted residency.

It's definitely not due to academic failure, that's very minimal. Another reason, but also rare, could be illness.

Reactions: 1 user
This is becoming much more common than before. Specifically, I was told at Yale that almost every student at this point takes a fifth year for research or a masters degree. It probably depends on the school, but any school that offers a free fifth year will probably have a high number of students do 5 years. Also, having a lot of research done during med school may make you more competitive for an impacted residency.

It's definitely not due to academic failure, that's very minimal. Another reason, but also rare, could be illness.

Congrats on that Yale interview!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
so, around 700 students do not earn a degree and end up with a dept?
Around 4% of first-time STEP 1 takers fail (from USMLE performance data 2016 & 2015). While this is just correlation and not causation, I have to assume this is a contributing factor. Also, it is not uncommon for life to get in the way. I have one person from my class take an LOA due to a family issue and is repeating first year. Likewise, two students from the next class up also had personal LOAs and are now in our second year class.

Of the ones that do, how many do it due to academic failure?

@gonnif answered your exact question. As for my experience, it seems like the perception of taking a year off to obtain more experience to apply to a competitive specialty is not looked down upon if that's why your asking. As long as you're in good academic standing and actually do something during that year, the process from medical to fellowship admissions seems to look favorably on anyone who's taken more time, if anything.

The research heavy schools encourage an additional year for research, entrepreneurship, additional degrees, etc. That’s probably much less common at most medical schools where people take an additional year 2/2 academic/personal/medical issues.

--
Il Destriero