How competitive am I for PEDS? What "tier" programs should I be applying to?

Started by Forven
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Forven

ALCAPA
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi!

I have seen a lot of varied opinions regarding the competitiveness of candidates applying for a residency in pediatrics. So I decided to just get straight to the point, post my stats, and ask what "tier" of programs I seem to be competitive for. Should I avoid the top 3? What about the top 25?

Step 1: 235
- 1 paper published, middle author, BEFORE medical school
- 1 research experience with presentation, DURING medical school, no publication. Was basic science.
- President of an interest group (not pediatrics)
- 3 community service (includes a pediatrics clinic and giving vaccinations to kids)
- 2 teaching in the community (community service + teaching)
- 1 training for medical students (basic clinical skills, phlebotomy, vaccinations etc)
- 1 journal club presentation (does this count?) on an article i did not publish
- Feedback coordinator for one of the basic science courses, based on my work they revamped the curriculum for that class
- Mentoring 2 undergraduate students applying to medical school next year
- Near Honors in Pediatrics clerkship (our grades go Fail->Pass->Near Honor ->Honor. Pass in the other rotations so far (surgery, neurology).
- AAP member
- Hobbies: Photography with multiple awards + my photos published in magazines.

I still have 4th year to go. I know my CV is kinda vague...didn't want to give myself away...but is there anything you guys feel is lacking? I am currently in the middle of MS3, so I have the rest of this year, and potentially next year, to fill in any deficiencies you guys notice.

Again, thanks for the input.
 
Hi!

I'm sure that people with much more experience on this will chime in, but I thought I'd add my 2 cents as a peds applicant this year. First off, what is "top tier" to you? I think there are several different ways to think about this- some programs have a great reputation from the US News and World reports as being strong children's hospitals. Others have a reputation for producing outstanding general clinicians, or having a very friendly, supportive environment. Some have a heavy research emphasis, global health reputation, and some are in amazing locations making them highly sought after programs. I'm sure you get the gist that there are many different ways to think of "top tier" programs. So, what's important to you? I wasn't sure what was important to me so I applied broadly to different programs that are well known for all of those things. I can tell you that what I thought was important in the beginning changed as I interviewed and got to know programs better.

That said, if you're asking about competitiveness for typically thought of prestigious programs based on US World and News, this is what I was told by several mentors. Since I'm a fellow student and obviously not involved in the selection process, I have to stress that all of this is just what I've been told by program directors and other mentors. Your step score shouldn't hold you back, but it also may not be particularly impressive. My impression is that the interns at these programs did very well third year , earning honors in many rotations, and that quite a few are AOA. I think the key of being "competitive" at these places is standing out- whether it be through research, community service, global health, past work experience, etc. I'm told that people who don't have traditionally "strong" USMLE scores, grades, etc do get interviews and match at "top tier" programs because they are great in other ways. Are you competitive for a top tier program? I think that's a hard question to answer. I've been extremely impressed by the fellow students I've interviewed with- many are extremely accomplished but also very nice and personable. Truthfully, I've often wondered what I'm doing in the same room with them.

So, bottom line, if you're interested in a program, apply! The very worst thing that can happen is that you don't get offered an interview. If you have any more questions, please PM me and I'd be happy to answer.
 
If you have 2 or 3 programs that are high on your list, try to rotate through them 4th year. Some programs give automatic interviews to any students who rotate through. In addition, program directors will definitely take into account the feedback of the residents or attendings you work with on a rotation. As Pedsdoc said, "top tier" is a very subjective term. I would look first at where you want to be geographically, then start analyzing the programs within those regions.