How competitive are FM Residency Programs in WA?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kdbaby1412

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an OMS-III, and I just curious about the competitiveness of the WA program.
Most of them don't use VSAS for audition, and I already applied to a few and hope to rotate there.

My dream program is U.Washington FM. But anywhere in WA will be fine by me.
My profile up to this point:

Step 1: 213
Level 1: 501
Level 2 CE and PE will take mid Junes.
Not planning to take Step 2

Thank you very much.

Members don't see this ad.

I know someone (USMD) who applied UW FM some years ago with Step 1 240ish and Step 2 CK 250ish. Didn't even get an interview. I'd infer that program is pretty competitive...

Members don't see this ad :)
From my understanding UWash is one of the most competitive FM programs in the country. My own advisor told me (a USMD), not to bother with my 21x step 1

It'll be very good if you do a sub-i there or have ties. A lot of programs send out "secondaries" after the application to people to see why they want to be in that area. I also applied a few and only got 1 interview, had very good stats but I had no interest being in washington, same goes for every other state except my home state

Thanks everyone for advice and inputs. I do apply to do a sub-I there and a few auditions. Hopefully, get some audition and interviews.

I'm an OMS-III, and I just curious about the competitiveness of the WA program.
Most of them don't use VSAS for audition, and I already applied to a few and hope to rotate there.

My dream program is U.Washington FM. But anywhere in WA will be fine by me.
My profile up to this point:

Step 1: 213
Level 1: 501
Level 2 CE and PE will take mid Junes.
Not planning to take Step 2

Thank you very much.

Why?

Yes, but why is it a dream program? I'm not being edgy here, I'm asking what they provide that makes you like them.
That program would also ask that very question

Last edited:
From my understanding UWash is one of the most competitive FM programs in the country. My own advisor told me (a USMD), not to bother with my 21x step 1
It's impossible, but it's a dream program.

They also required all the steps (including Step 2 CS) from DOs last I checked, but double check that it hasn't changed since then. I didn't apply for that reason. The PD kind of turned me off to the program at AAFP honestly.

Washington state has multiple residencies. UW is probably on the impossible side with your stats, but there's a range of competitiveness, including Kadlec which takes DOs and IMGs. You'll have better luck with the other programs in the state.

Yes, but why is it a dream program? I'm not being edgy here, I'm asking what they provide that makes you like them.
I personally don’t know this program but I’ll say this: all programs who claim to be competitive is just because of their rich history and academia. When it’s all said and done, what matters is: can you provide excellent care to your patient! I can guarantee you that 50% of docs didn’t train at these prestigious programs and are providing excellent care.

Reactions: 1 users
I personally don’t know this program but I’ll say this: all programs who claim to be competitive is just because of their rich history and academia. When it’s all said and done, what matters is: can you provide excellent care to your patient! I can guarantee you that 50% of docs didn’t train at these prestigious programs and are providing excellent care.

That's kinda what I'm getting at here. If anything, FM is unique in that the random community program down the street from the academic mega center may actually be better. So unless someone has a very intense, specific interest then they may want to widen their net.

Reactions: 2 users