how competitive are md/ms programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hemorrage

Ambrose
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hi everyone. i've been considering applying to md/ms programs this upcoming cycle and was curious about how competitive they are compared to the regular cycle? Can someone enlighten me?

Members don't see this ad.

:shrug:
The competitiveness of a MD/MS program really can be quite variable. Note that this is because they run the entire gamut. For example, there are some programs that you apply to AFTER you have been accepted to / begin attending medical school that may involve only a perfunctory "application". In contrast, you may have to complete an entirely separate application/interview to get into other programs. Overall, no two programs are entirely alike, and thus it is difficult to paint them with broad brush strokes.

More important is the idea that you choose programs that will help you achieve your future career goals and schools with master's programs (and schedules and opportunities) that allow you to achieve these goals. I would start by seriously considering what type of master's degree you are looking for and then perhaps look at potential labs/researchers at different institutions that may be of interest to you.