How competitive are peds cardiology fellowships?

Started by v-tach
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

v-tach

Senior Member
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
OK, I'm still a premed applying to medical schools but just curious: How competitive are pediatric cardiology fellowships in comparison to adult? This is a field I am interested in and was just wondering since I have heard that adult cardiology fellowships are pretty competitive (this is another field that interests me).
 
v-tach said:
OK, I'm still a premed applying to medical schools but just curious: How competitive are pediatric cardiology fellowships in comparison to adult? This is a field I am interested in and was just wondering since I have heard that adult cardiology fellowships are pretty competitive (this is another field that interests me).

It is not as comptetive as adult but it is the most competitive pure peds fellowship. (Peds ER might be as competitive). From what I understand doing research and being in with someone with a big name or who knows someone with a big name is important.
I think like 20 percent of people dont match in the cards match. I personally know 2 solid people who just didn't pull the right strings and didn't match, but overall 4 of 5 match, so think of it that way. Just get in early with the right people, jump through all the BS hoops, be a good clinician in residency, don't piss people off, dont be an obnoxious gunner, and you should be fine. And oh yeah, go to the best residency you can.
 
jdog said:
It is not as comptetive as adult but it is the most competitive pure peds fellowship. (Peds ER might be as competitive). From what I understand doing research and being in with someone with a big name or who knows someone with a big name is important.
I think like 20 percent of people dont match in the cards match. I personally know 2 solid people who just didn't pull the right strings and didn't match, but overall 4 of 5 match, so think of it that way. Just get in early with the right people, jump through all the BS hoops, be a good clinician in residency, don't piss people off, dont be an obnoxious gunner, and you should be fine. And oh yeah, go to the best residency you can.

Sounds like part of the whole process, then, is "who you know"! As far as "the best residency you can", what are the criteria for determining what residency is better than another? I realize I probably sound like a gunner, but I'm just curious to get a feel for things early. I may be competitive, but I would never sabotage somebody else to get ahead; that's just wrong. With competition, if it helps you do YOUR best that's good, but if it goes too far (i.e. cutthroat) that's not healthy.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
v-tach said:
Sounds like part of the whole process, then, is "who you know"! As far as "the best residency you can", what are the criteria for determining what residency is better than another? I realize I probably sound like a gunner, but I'm just curious to get a feel for things early. I may be competitive, but I would never sabotage somebody else to get ahead; that's just wrong. With competition, if it helps you do YOUR best that's good, but if it goes too far (i.e. cutthroat) that's not healthy.

These are things that you do not need to worry about or should worry about right now. It will become evident what a gunner is and what the best residency program as you go along the process.
It sounds like you are pretty sure you want to do peds cardiology, but unless you have a relative in the business and know what it is like, the chance that a college student knows exactly what specialty you want to go into is pretty slim.
 
This might be a stupid question, but I was under the impression that neonatology, hem/onc, and ID are more competitive than peds cards?

jdog said:
It is not as comptetive as adult but it is the most competitive pure peds fellowship. (Peds ER might be as competitive). From what I understand doing research and being in with someone with a big name or who knows someone with a big name is important.
I think like 20 percent of people dont match in the cards match. I personally know 2 solid people who just didn't pull the right strings and didn't match, but overall 4 of 5 match, so think of it that way. Just get in early with the right people, jump through all the BS hoops, be a good clinician in residency, don't piss people off, dont be an obnoxious gunner, and you should be fine. And oh yeah, go to the best residency you can.
 
cbc said:
This might be a stupid question, but I was under the impression that neonatology, hem/onc, and ID are more competitive than peds cards?

Nope.
 
cbc said:
Why is this true? Neonatologists are higher in demand and makes more money.

Intensivists will likely be making more money as their fee schedule has changed to something more resembling that of the neonatologist and neonatology fellowships are in abundance. Supply greatly outweighs demand for fellowship positions. Neonatologists are in great demand though.