How competitive are summer NIH internships?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DrowningInWork

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
And how much do they care about GPA? I'm a sophomore right now, and my GPA is sketchy (around 3.3), but I've spent ~700 hours in the lab and second authored a pub (granted, in an unknown journal). Will have decent recommendations--awesome one from PI, strong ones from science profs.

Members don't see this ad.

Watching this thread. I always wanted to do research with the NIH but I had 2 MD acceptances and told people I was going to my top choice at that point.

If you're interested in research, then I would recommend the ITRA program because they help you with getting into a health professions school (medical, dental, pharmacy, PT/OT, etc.)

And how much do they care about GPA? I'm a sophomore right now, and my GPA is sketchy (around 3.3), but I've spent ~700 hours in the lab and second authored a pub (granted, in an unknown journal). Will have decent recommendations--awesome one from PI, strong ones from science profs.
PlosOne?

I kid, hee hee.

1000 out of 6300 interns were accepted in 2013 (16 ish percent).