NIH Summer Internship or continue research at school lab?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

isangisangisang

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am a current sophomore in college, who was recently accepted into the NIH SIP Program. However, I have a dilemma. I have been researching at a lab from the beginning of college, and recently switched to a new lab, in a subject that I have more interest in. I am not sure whether or not to continue researching at this lab, or to take the NIH Internship. Here are the arguments I have come up with for both sides.

Pro NIH:
- It is a reasonably (Would like confirmation on this, as it is hard to tell) selective and prestigious internship
- The research would be interesting, albeit not exactly what I am interested in

Pro continue researching at lab:
- may show more continuity in my research interest
- it is a subject that I have slightly more interest in
- this will help consolidate my relationship with my PI, for rec letters

Is the NIH internship something that I should be taking, i.e. a once in a life time experience that I need to hop on, or would it be better to stay with my current lab? I really like the current lab and PI, and think I can do good research there, but would my resume better benefit by me doing a summer with NIH, then returning to the lab afterwards?

Members don't see this ad.

personally did nih sip and would recommend that option, your other lab will be there when you return. even if youre applying straight through, you have over a year to build a relationship with your PI. NIH SIP will allow you to diversify your research experience, be productive and get an additional paper/presentation, and get a letter of rec from your NIH PI. its a win

Reactions: 3 users
Hi all,
I am a current sophomore in college, who was recently accepted into the NIH SIP Program. However, I have a dilemma. I have been researching at a lab from the beginning of college, and recently switched to a new lab, in a subject that I have more interest in. I am not sure whether or not to continue researching at this lab, or to take the NIH Internship. Here are the arguments I have come up with for both sides.

Pro NIH:
- It is a reasonably (Would like confirmation on this, as it is hard to tell) selective and prestigious internship
- The research would be interesting, albeit not exactly what I am interested in

Pro continue researching at lab:
- may show more continuity in my research interest
- it is a subject that I have slightly more interest in
- this will help consolidate my relationship with my PI, for rec letters

Is the NIH internship something that I should be taking, i.e. a once in a life time experience that I need to hop on, or would it be better to stay with my current lab? I really like the current lab and PI, and think I can do good research there, but would my resume better benefit by me doing a summer with NIH, then returning to the lab afterwards?
In a similar situation right now. There's nothing stopping you from continuing to stay in the loop with your current lab over the summer whether or not you're at the physical campus especially if your lab does lab meetings virtually. If you see your current lab as somewhere you want to stay at, consider talking to your PI about the situation - they may be able to find a solution for you to prove continued involvement over the summer while still allowing you to do NIH. At the very least they have more reason to see you as a capable student