How competitive are SURP programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So now i'm applying with a 3.2...do you guys think i have a shot?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So now i'm applying with a 3.2...do you guys think i have a shot?

Dude, the only people who know whether you have a shot are the people who read your application. Go apply and don't rely on ignorant guesses from us pre-meds.
 
Last edited:
I was at a SURP and the GPAs seemed to run the gamut... I think a 3.2 will be OK if you're articulate in your application, have good LORs, and show you have a real interest in research. Another good idea is to apply for the NIH Summer Program and contact individual PIs about working in their lab, which avoids some of the competative elements of the SURP application process:

https://www.training.nih.gov/apps/publicForms/sip/forms/sipApp.aspx
 
I'm also applying to some of these programs. Most of them say your gpa needs to be over 3.0, so if you have a 3.2, it seems like you should be fine. It seems to me that they will base a lot of their decision making on the essays you write. I'm not the expert though.....good luck!!! How many are you applying to? THere are so many and I wanted to apply to a good number of them so that I have a chance of getting in, but I feel bad asking my professors to do so much work, as some of them require LORS in hard copy and some require upload on the internet...how are you dealing with the LOR issue?