ponybreeder4

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
So now i'm applying with a 3.2...do you guys think i have a shot?

About the Ads

fizzle

10+ Year Member
Aug 23, 2006
Status
Medical Student
So now i'm applying with a 3.2...do you guys think i have a shot?
Dude, the only people who know whether you have a shot are the people who read your application. Go apply and don't rely on ignorant guesses from us pre-meds.

Last edited:

vadd0

10+ Year Member
Sep 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I knew a bunch of people with 3.0s who got into a SURP, so I know that you'll be fine. A great LOR and some prior experience will take you far.

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician

pazan

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I was at a SURP and the GPAs seemed to run the gamut... I think a 3.2 will be OK if you're articulate in your application, have good LORs, and show you have a real interest in research. Another good idea is to apply for the NIH Summer Program and contact individual PIs about working in their lab, which avoids some of the competative elements of the SURP application process:

https://www.training.nih.gov/apps/publicForms/sip/forms/sipApp.aspx

iTool

10+ Year Member
Dec 7, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
about the nih, was there free housing? stuff to do for fun when you have time off?

Hyperstudyosis

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 25, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I'm also applying to some of these programs. Most of them say your gpa needs to be over 3.0, so if you have a 3.2, it seems like you should be fine. It seems to me that they will base a lot of their decision making on the essays you write. I'm not the expert though.....good luck!!! How many are you applying to? THere are so many and I wanted to apply to a good number of them so that I have a chance of getting in, but I feel bad asking my professors to do so much work, as some of them require LORS in hard copy and some require upload on the internet...how are you dealing with the LOR issue?

About the Ads