HOw competitive are these programs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

devildoc2

Membership Revoked
Removed
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's my scenario:

I have a 225 step I score

Top 5 medical school on east coast

I failed the 2nd year and had to retake it. I retook the 2nd year and passed every course with no honors.

I have 2 years research experience, 1 first author paper but its radiology related and has nothing to do with IM

My clinical clerkship grades are average, no honors.

These are the programs I am interested in (all IM):

Baylor (Dallas)*
UT Southwestern (Dallas)*
Dallas Methodist*
Dallas Presbyterian*
Austin - Seton
Ochner clinic
Texas A&M -Scott/White
University of OKlahoma - Tulsa
University of Oklahoma - OUHSC/OKC*
Univ Missouri - Columbia
Univ Missouri - Kansas City

*My top choices are any of the Dallas or OKC programs (due to family reasons).

Obviously I am a weak candidate so I wont be applying to any top notch programs except one (southwestern). My question is, do I have a decent shot to match at any of these? Should I do audition rotations at some of these places?

Members don't see this ad.

devildoc2 said:
Here's my scenario:

I have a 225 step I score

Top 5 medical school on east coast

I failed the 2nd year and had to retake it. I retook the 2nd year and passed every course with no honors.

I have 2 years research experience, 1 first author paper but its radiology related and has nothing to do with IM

My clinical clerkship grades are average, no honors.

These are the programs I am interested in (all IM):

Baylor (Dallas)*
UT Southwestern (Dallas)*
Dallas Methodist*
Dallas Presbyterian*
Austin - Seton
Ochner clinic
Texas A&M -Scott/White
University of OKlahoma - Tulsa
University of Oklahoma - OUHSC/OKC*
Univ Missouri - Columbia
Univ Missouri - Kansas City

*My top choices are any of the Dallas or OKC programs (due to family reasons).

Obviously I am a weak candidate so I wont be applying to any top notch programs except one (southwestern). My question is, do I have a decent shot to match at any of these? Should I do audition rotations at some of these places?

I think you have a great shot. Other than the obvious 2nd yr flunk (which is a big spot but can be explained if you do have a reason) you have done decently at a top school. With some packaging, smooth interview skills and enthiusiastic reccs, you should have your choices. I might even suggest applying to a broader range to include some other good midwest programs like Wash U and Baylor Houston - I think at the end of the day you'd be surprised.