Recently accepted to medical school.. how competitive is this specialty for DO?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TennCare

Reaction score
Hi, looking for some advice. I am currently in the med school application cycle and have been accepted by a DO program. A large part of my interest in medicine is having several family members affected by cancer and my best friend's battle with sickle cell anemia. Through shadowing and research experience at a med school this is a specialty I could see myself in. I have a few more interviews, but if granted no more acceptances, will it be an uphill battle for a heme/onc fellowship? Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Lots of DOs in oncology. You, not your degree, will be the limiting factor.
Thank you @gutonc, the response is very helpful. I know there are certain specialties that are quite DO adverse and am glad to hear there's a shot at working with the patient population I'd like to serve most!

Members don't see this ad :)
Heme/Onc should be… DOable.

(I’ll see myself out)

Reactions: 1 user
I can let you know after match day. Some programs will only take MDs/IMGs with plenty of research before residency that you just can't compete with.

Get into the best academic residency where you can do the typical resident retrospective kind of research. Heme/onc conferences don't accept case reports, unlike Cardio/GI/PCCM conferences (and why cardio/GI applicants often have an obscene amount of "pubs"). My friend from a community program without an in-house fellowship/IRB support could not get anything to ASH/ASCO and has no interviews this cycle.

Reactions: 1 users
Demonstrated interest in sickle cell disease will be appealing to many fellowships. As you know, it’s a terrible disease and we need docs who want to treat it.

Reactions: 1 user