How competitive in Pathology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DocDrex1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I'm planning on going abroad for med school. Possibly in Israel, the UK, or Australia. I'm thinking that pathology may actually be a field that I enjoy. Quite recently, I've noticed that I don't actually truly enjoy tons of patient contact. I like a little, but not too much. Pathology seems to have very little (or none at all) patient contact. Also, it seems to require a detailed mind, which I definitely have. How competitive is Pathology? It seems that few IMG's match into it. Any advice would be great!

Drex

Members don't see this ad.

You know who you should PM-- Arctic Char, a current MSIH 4th year applying in pathology.

Last edited:
Pathology is making a big come back d/t great hours and pay, absolute min. patient contact, and relatively light residency. More and more AMGs are taking this on and filling up so much programs... When it comes to fellowship, there are so many applicants now (well-qualified). Good luck!

How competitive is Pathology? It seems that few IMG's match into it. Any advice would be great!

If I'm not mistaken, close to 1/2 of pathology residents are IMGs/FMGs. Many sign outside the match so match statistics might be skewed.

Thanks for the help everyone! Path seems kind of cool. I never thought I'd have an interest in it. However, as I've worked more in the medical field, I've realized that I don't really enjoy patient contact that much.

Just curious -- if you already know as a premed you don't like patient contact that much, why go ahead with med school? It seems like you've realized this soon enough to act on it and pursue something else, rather than too late (i.e. after a lot of debt).

Well, that is a reasonable question, ladygrey, but not all MD's end up in a high patient contact specialty...we do need pathologists and FDA physicians and aren't coroners MD's as well (or maybe not?). Radiologists we already have folks clamoring to get into radiology residency, so I don't know that we need any more...also counting on rads would be a risky proposition for any IMG or FMG.

I'd wonder if the OP can maybe achieve a similar career goal without having to go through the pain of 8 years of med school + residency (isn't path a 4 year residency?). Maybe he/she would be better off with an MS or PhD in something related to pathology. Also, it is a little risky going to med school if you know there are only maybe 1 or 2 specialties that you'd want to do...simply because there is no guarantee you'll get one of those (unless it's something ridiculously easy like fp or IM).

I think we're agreeing, dragonfly. You're just saying it more nicely.