How competitive is PCCM?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bigfootisreal

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
USMD student with a slightly above average step score. I’m just curious how competitive the speciality is say from a solid low-mid tier academic program?

thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

PCCM is defiantly doable ive seen community programs who have matched their residents as well as plenty of IMGs. It is less competetive than GI and Cards and about the same as Heme/Onc. With everything going on lately the country has a great shortage of intensivists so wouldent be a bad idea.

Reactions: 1 user
Doable. Its unmatch rate has climbed but a usmd from an academic program still has good odds. About on par with heme/onc as firstcontact said.
I got in a decent university fellowship in Chicago as a USMD from a community program and lower steps than yours, though full disclosure I got in on my 2nd try.

Members don't see this ad :)
Will heme-onc go down in competitiveness because of COVID ?
Why?

As I've pointed out elsewhere, the only non-COVID stuff going on in the hospitals and clinics where I work is cancer, STEMI, transplant and trauma.

My 6 floor hospital-based office building has only 3 clinics open regular hours right now...Hem/Onc, Gyn Onc and Surg Onc. Everyone else (GI, OB/gyn, primary care, peds, nephrology, neurology, gen surg) are skeleton crews right now.

Reactions: 1 users
Why?

As I've pointed out elsewhere, the only non-COVID stuff going on in the hospitals and clinics where I work is cancer, STEMI, transplant and trauma.

My 6 floor hospital-based office building has only 3 clinics open regular hours right now...Hem/Onc, Gyn Onc and Surg Onc. Everyone else (GI, OB/gyn, primary care, peds, nephrology, neurology, gen surg) are skeleton crews right now.
Wouldn't chemotherapy be delayed until COVID cools down ?

Wouldn't chemotherapy be delayed until COVID cools down ?
In a few cases. But not when you're dealing in curative intent treatment, or giving patients with significant symptoms from metastatic disease, palliative therapy.

I've probably postponed chemo for ~10% of patients right now.

Besides, how long do you think it's going to take for "COVID to cool down"? 10-15 years? Because that's the cycle of "competitiveness" we see in medical specialties.

Look up NRMP match statistics.

GI match rate for this yr was 63%, Pulm 69%, cards 73 and Hemonc 77 if I remember correctly.
Our quality of applicants is getting better every yr

Why?

I'm definitely still doing biopsies. The surgeons are still cutting on cancer lungs (if they can). The poison is still being hung.

To be fair our surge hasn't been nuts at all because we got on the social distancing soon enough. We have about half the ICU full of the crusty COVID jugglers (and they're SICK AF), but "ophtho hasn't had to do any intubations" yet and "rheum isn't running any vents," and looks like they never will.

God bless the folks in NYC. **** this virus.