How competitive of an adult or pediatric neurology candidate am I? (Md/PhD)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MdPhD86

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'd like to get advice from people who have recently matched into adult or pediatric neurology as to how competitive of a candidate I am for either of these specialties.

I am an MD/PhD student at one of the top 15 medical schools in the US. My PhD is in neuroscience and I am considering going into adult or pediatric neurology. Location is really important to me because I want to be in a place where my husband (a software engineer) can easily get a job he likes, and I'd like to be in a city.

I performed average in medical school, didn't honor any of the courses during first and second year. My step 1 score is very low (218). I will probably come out of my PhD (which is with a fairly well known researcher in the field) with two first authored papers (one in a fairly high tier journal (JNeurosci), one in a smaller journal) and one first authored review (in a mid-tier journal).

I am not so concerned with matching into a highly-ranked program as matching into a decent program in a city that I like (Seattle, Texas, Chicago, DC, San Francisco are high on my list). Most people I talk to say that the PhD will really help, and perhaps make up for my boards score, but I am dubious. I'm wondering whether a solid step 2 score and good grades during third and fourth year will make me a fairly competitive candidate for adult or pediatric neurology or if I'm doomed because of my low step 1 score. Any advice people can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with neurologist.

A PhD covers a multitude of sins. And honestly, I don't think your Step 1 is bad in the first place.

I think you would be highly competitive as you are. A higher Step 2 would only cement your status further. Just be nice and polite on your interviews and I would anticipate zero problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
You are fine. 218 isn't a disaster by any stretch. Do well in your clinicals though, particularly neuro and IM, and do well on step 2, which is way easier than step 1. Honestly, with that many cities on your list, you could probably coast and still match somewhere decent, but a program like UCSF will be less impressed with the PhD, particularly if there are any concerns about your ability to do the job of a resident.