Anonimus.Maximus

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
I was looking at the data for Northwestern and BU, and I saw that only 1/3rd of those offered spots at these schools ended up matriculating. This seemed strange at first, but then I figured that anyone good enough to get into one of those schools was likely to get multiple acceptances, and good as those schools are, they don't have quite the draw of a Penn or a UCSF. So I can see how a good number of people admitted to them might end up matriculating somewhere else.

But then I saw that SLU supposedly accepted all 551 people they interviewed, which doesn't seem believable at all. So I dunno what to make of this.

About the Ads

Goro

Gold Donor
7+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2010
Somewhere west of St. Louis
Status
Non-Student
Did, but they only have matriculation data.
figure 2-x accepts/seat.

There's a reason why we in medical education refer to that rag as "US Snooze and Worst Report". The only people who seem to take it seriously are pre-meds and medical school Deans.

OP
Anonimus.Maximus

Anonimus.Maximus

2+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2015
Status
Pre-Medical
figure 2-x accepts/seat.

There's a reason why we in medical education refer to that rag as "US Snooze and Worst Report". The only people who seem to take it seriously are pre-meds and medical school Deans.
Lol, never heard that one before.

Reactions: Goro

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
1) the actual data for this does exist and reports could easily run per school by AAMC/AMCAS
2) it is purposely not done as a regular report as there is no standard across schools on how many acceptances per seat and therefore, can lead to misleading conclusions and comparisons
3) it is up to individual schools to release or publish this data on their own sites
4) since most schools dont release this info, I am unsure how USWR gets this info

joschar

2+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2016
Oklahoma
Status
Medical Student
But then I saw that SLU supposedly accepted all 551 people they interviewed, which doesn't seem believable at all. So I dunno what to make of this
MSAR says that SLU typically interviews right at 1000 applicants (1007 last year). I remember reading somewhere that SLU has approximately a 50% acceptance rate after the interview, and 551 acceptances for 180 spots is very reasonable. It may be that the acceptance number of 551 on US News is correct, but the interview number is actually just over 1000.

efle

not an elf
5+ Year Member
Apr 6, 2014
Status
Medical Student
I was looking at the data for Northwestern and BU, and I saw that only 1/3rd of those offered spots at these schools ended up matriculating. This seemed strange at first, but then I figured that anyone good enough to get into one of those schools was likely to get multiple acceptances, and good as those schools are, they don't have quite the draw of a Penn or a UCSF. So I can see how a good number of people admitted to them might end up matriculating somewhere else.

But then I saw that SLU supposedly accepted all 551 people they interviewed, which doesn't seem believable at all. So I dunno what to make of this.
UCSF actually has a yield of only about 50%! Same for Stanford. And down in the 30-40% range includes places like Yale, Vandy, Cornell, WashU, etc. There are a bunch of top schools all interested in the same upper crust of applicants, so most people they admit will also get offers at a couple other big names.

There's def something wrong with the SLU numbers if it says 551 interviewed and 551 admitted. The highest post-interview admit rates are usually around 70% (at U Mich and Northwestern). Most places admit something like 35-50%.

About the Ads