How detailed do we have to know for Glycolysis

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

UofT9919

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do we have to know the names of all the intermediate steps (i had to for university bch course). Like bisphosphate, ... or just pyruvate, glucose, acetylcoa. I'm just asking to make sure, it won't be any trouble to do so b/c i did earlier this year. Its says to know substrates and products but of each individual enzyme or the overall reaction. Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

In EK it says you don't need to know the names of all the molecules... don't need to know all the enzymes... seems way beyond the scope of mcat. It says to know how much ATP NADH FADH2 are produced each cycle of kreb's and glycolysis. Also know 1 glucose -> 2 pyruvate obviously and where it takes place with respect to the cell (eg cytoplasm, where in the mitochondria, etc.)

Thanks. I was looking at old threads and aamc and it said know the substrates so i was wondering the definition of substrate (ie. substrate of each enzyme or each major step, krebs, gly...)

Thanks. I was looking at old threads and aamc and it said know the substrates so i was wondering the definition of substrate (ie. substrate of each enzyme or each major step, krebs, gly...)

I learnt that you need 2 ATPs to get 4 ATPs (net 2 ATPs). Also that it happens in the cytoplasm.