How did covid impact your match results?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1095518

Hi

I am an upcoming med student and I was just curious to see if people felt that they didn't match into their top choice program bc of covid. I saw the match results from my top choice and talked to my friend who is a current student there. I didn't see a strong match in the fields I was interested in and I am now reconsidering another school.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi

I am an upcoming med student and I was just curious to see if people felt that they didn't match into their top choice program bc of covid. I saw the match results from my top choice and talked to my friend who is a current student there. I didn't see a strong match in the fields I was interested in and I am now reconsidering another school.
It didn't. There was a lot of talk but come match day the results/data seem about the same. I wouldn't worry about this unless you want to go down a rabbit hole of endless speculation where dozens of factors will come into play. People will talk about how their away rotations were cancelled, etc. but honestly it's all anecdotal. Regardless, COVID-19 wont' affect another season as it did this one with mass vaccinations coming out this spring. The US is basically going to treat COVID-19 like the next 9/11 moving forward and will take pre-emptive measures so nothing close to this will happen in the foreseeable future.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Overall, you have X number of positions and Y number of applicants. There are a bunch of interviews. Everybody ranks everybody else. Then the computer does the rest. So on a macro level, everything is very much the same.

At an individual level, you'd have applicants who did not get to do (m)any away rotations and thus did not impress or bomb -- so for them, likely a different result. You'd also have people who present much better/worse in person than on a video call -- so for them, likely a different result. You'd have applicants who could (this year) afford to 'attend' every interview they were offered, both financially and time-wise -- so for them, maybe different.

Where I'm heading is just that I don't think aggregated statistics will be able to answer the question, so only anecdotal perceptions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users