How did/do you go about shadowing?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RadMD1day

Cat Scan
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do you write a letter?
Call?
Which way will be the most professional or how do current physicians prefer it?
How long should you shadow?
All specialties?

Members don't see this ad.

I emailed a bunch of deans at NYU Med (I go to NYU), and one of them responded favorably, so im shadowing (actually, the dean who got me the position said not to call it shadowing, as I should not want to be in anyone's shadow. He said to call it an internship, espically since I will be doing research) there over the summer.

If your uni has a med school, try contacting some people via email, or calling them, or even just showing up and asking to speak to whomever would be in charge of shadowing.

I just observed my first surgery today- I got that opportunity through my volunteer position. I'm a pretty shy person, but I was working with a very experienced/outgoing nurse that introduced me to everyone that stepped on the floor including this neurosurgeon. Just make it clear that you're a pre-med student...and have some conversation starters ready. I think surgeons are the easiest to shadow...it doesn't "cost" them anything to let you stand around during a surgery, unlike a PCP that would have to deal with you while you step on their heals all day. It's also easier to ask "would you mind, by any chance, if I observed a surgery sometime?" vs. the indefinite "Can I shadow you?" Really, though, this question has been asked 1000x over the life of SDN, and the answers don't change from year to year....so check out the search function for a broader range of answers.