How did/do you guys know what to do?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

missdr10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
This sounds like a really stupid question but how the hell do you guys know what you're doing with applications? I'm applying next cycle and I've been in a whirlwind trying to get the gist of yall's game plan. I keep seeing phrases thrown around like "letter of intent" and all of that and I have no idea how to go about doing this!

I'm confused about which schools to even look into. With a balanced 33 on my MCAT, some folks are telling me I only have a chance at MD within my own state, some are saying to apply to a lot of MD schools, and some are telling me I have a shot at upper level schools like UMiami and Duke.

I realize that I have time before applications start but what's your secret? Did you guys follow some sort of guide or is there a helpful med school book or anything?

Members don't see this ad.

MSAR from AAMC is what you need. Apply to state schools and then choose other schools you would attend that fit your stats. Mix in a few dream schools also. Apply early as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Like the person above me said:

1. Buy the MSAR and apply to 15-25 (or even more if you want) schools that include a good mix of places where you're above the average stats, at the average stats, and a bit below the average stats.
2. Fill out your primary and select the above schools.
3. Fill out the secondaries you get from the schools you selected on your primary.
4. Wait for interviews.
5. Go to interviews then send LOI afterwards if applicable.

Thank you all for your help. So generally speaking, going by msar gives you a good idea of where to apply.

UMiami is not a "upper level school" like Duke. No offense to OP or UMiami.

Didn't mean any disrespect by it. I just always looked at miller som as a reputable place to attend medical school,. This wasn't really the main point of my post but I appreciate your personal opinion.

With a balanced 33 on my MCAT, some folks are telling me I only have a chance at MD within my own state

Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. A school with an AVERAGE of 35 still takes people who get a 30.

But yes, MSAR is the way to go. Alternatively, you could narrow down by geographic region and then look on school websites for stats and see how competitive you are from that angle.

First generation college student and med student here. SDN has really helped me through this process, and I am forever indebted to the users here. I pay it forward by making donations and giving advice where I can.

As previously stated, MSAR is also another great resource.