How did/do you prepare for the board exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rxforlife2004

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone:

I am wondering how everyone's preparing for the NAPLEX and the California Board exam. Given the facts that CA board exam is hard...Hm...I have just a couple more months to prepare and i am so busy with rotations and work. Thus, if anyone already passed both, please share your experience. For those will grad in May, how are you gonna prepare for these exams? APhA review book? Morris-Cody prep course? ???

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone:

I am wondering how everyone's preparing for the NAPLEX and the California Board exam. Given the facts that CA board exam is hard...Hm...I have just a couple more months to prepare and i am so busy with rotations and work. Thus, if anyone already passed both, please share your experience. For those will grad in May, how are you gonna prepare for these exams? APhA review book? Morris-Cody prep course? ???

I wouldnt sweat NAPLEX if you went to a US school. Just get a review book and go through it some. It's a LARGE curve. This was 2 yrs ago though. But from what I hear, same thing applies, if you did well in school it will be a walk in the park for the most part.

i studied about 10 hours total, going over chemo and HIV meds. after the test, I felt it was a complete waste of time, since there didn't seem to be any questions about the material I reviewed. I passed no prob.
Just be sure to brush up on math.

Hi everyone:

Depends on the school you attended to an extent. I bought a book, studied on the beach for two days, took the test in under 90 minutes and passed with the highest score in both states in which I was sitting for licensure at the time.

Members don't see this ad :)
NAPLEX... couple of hours by the pool.

Old CA Board. 2 weeks of intense review..

There's a post every year about this issue. I remember my NAPLEX as being so easy that a comotose squid could pass it. The law exam for AZ was tricky (not hard) because the question wording is screwy.

To prepare for the NAPLEX:
1. Simply pay reasonable attention in your clerkship
2. Look over your pharmacy calculations particularly the odd ones like MOsm or isotonicity (Ansel & Stocklosa)
3. 8+ hours of sleep and something to eat befor the exam.

Unless you're from Texas Southern, it'll work just fine.

Honestly, I don't know - I took the old CA board exam - yeah - 2 weeks of hard review.

But....I did work with an IL pharmacist who tried to pass the CA exam - had to retake the NAPLEX (the new one which was revised to comply with the CA requirements) & the CPJE.

She passed the NAPLEX, but failed the CPJE four times - thats the limit. She gave up. I've worked with a couple of new grads who have taken it more than once as well.

So...its supposed to be hard - not just law, but clinical stuff as well.

Good luck!!!! If you're a CA student, you shouldn't have much problem. Other students probably need to do more review.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend Morris-Cody. He was reprimanded, fined & lost his CA license because of releasing actual test questions.

I wouldnt sweat NAPLEX if you went to a US school. Just get a review book and go through it some. It's a LARGE curve. This was 2 yrs ago though. But from what I hear, same thing applies, if you did well in school it will be a walk in the park for the most part.
Hi,
Can you recommend a specific review book?
I am a foreign pharmacist; I've just passed the FPGEE and applying for the NAPLEX. I'm not sure which book to use?
Thanks!