how did DO's do in the match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

andrew_still200

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any 4th year DO Students could share their experience in the match? Like did they have any problems being DO's and did you take both USMLE and COmlex? Thanks for your help. :)

Members don't see this ad.

who went to the NJ DO school noted the following:

1. Cornell supposedly does not interview DOs.

2. Some PDs will get a bit snooty, asking, "Why did you go to a DO school?" Ignore this attempt to rile you up.

3. He got plenty of interviews at great places, including:

Yale (his match, as well), Brigham, Hopkins, Sinai, Columbia.

4. Have at least a 220 on Step One, nice letters, and try to rotate at the program of your top choice.

Best of luck.

I am a 4th year DO student; received Anesthesia interviews at several top programs, including Penn, Hopkins, Cleveland Clinic. Matched at Penn, which was my #1 choice. I took both COMLEX and USMLE. I only was able to rotate at one program on my rank list, but I don't think this hurt me--I think grades/boards count for much more.

Members don't see this ad :)
We took 4 at Hopkins.... if you're good you're good.

Any luck for those D.O.'s who only took COMLEX and whose app would otherwise be considered average. I need some inspiration :)

NYCOM is sending one to Hopkins......way to open the doors up......:clap: :clap:

For all you DO's getting into top anesthesia programs, I'm sure you took the USMLE step I, but what about Step 2?

I took Step II in Dec and never released the score. I matched at UCSF. If you did not do too hot on Step 1, then by all means you should take step 2 and rock on it.

Wow! Congrads on matching at UCSF. That is amazing. Do the other California programs accept DOs as well? I got a 96th percentile on the COMLEX and I was told to take the USMLE by many program directors. Should I apply to programs like UCSF, UCSD, Stanford, etc.? Do I stand any chance or should I just look elsewhere? Any suggestions would be great! Thanks.

drlard is not a DO student.

lh2004, did you do your rotation at Penn? Somebody told me that if you want a residency there you better rotate while in med school. Is this true?

Sethco,

I actually did not rotate at Penn. I wasn't positive that I wanted to do anesthesia until early fall of 4th year when I did an anesthesia rotation at a community hospital. I did another anesthesia rotation in Peds Anesthesia during January of 4th year at a program that I applied to (not Penn). I think that grades/scores matter much more than a rotation; however, if you know early that you want to do anesthesia, it definitely can't hurt. Also, Penn's clinical schedule was different than my school's, so had I done a rotation there I would have had to do it over a break or rearrange my rotations to fit their schedule,which can be a bit of a headache.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took USMLE Step I but not Step II. I did not take COMLEX Step II until January of 4th year, so it didn't even count for my residency apps, although I ended up getting the same score as on Step I.

Does anybody know if programs in the Southeast (i.e. Virginia, North carolina, South Carolina, etc.) are accepting DOs? I already saw one from PCOM matched into Wake Forest. Anywhere else?

Other folks from AZCOM are going to Yale, Cleveland Clinic, UT Galviston (I think), U of Arizona, Baystate, there are more. However I won't get list back till next week as some people really screwed themselves this match. Poor bastards.

VentdependenT,

Just curious...How did some of your classmates screw themselves in the match? Are there any pitfalls to avoid during the interview process?...Congrads on matching in Chicago!

They screwed themselves by overestimating their applications, not applying to enough places (ex applying to 1-2 allo gen surg programs...stupid), not studying hard for the USMLE/take it seriously, applying for competitive allo residencies w/o looking at the DO options or other allo back up plans...those are all great ways to screw yourself.

Unless you don't care. Then its scrables'ville.

Interviews are cake. Only way to really screw them up is by being an ass.

Vent-
Add my Indiana U to the list of AZCOMers matching into Anesthesia. #1 Choice.

I've got a friggin dilemma that is haunting me after reading all the above posts.... I have recently decided that gas is the way to go...I did not think I would be going into a competitive specialty and thus have not taken the USMLE.... I am ranked first in my class with a 96 % COMLEX, mostly HP's and honors in MS III clerkships and great letters from graduates of top programs (with a few rotations to come at top programs before apps).... I plan to apply to a few elite programs but I'm left wondering if they will consider strong candidates with no USMLE.... JHU states on their website that they accept USMLE or COMLEX for residency consideration.... anyone getting in to JHU with no USMLE? How about PENN, Columbia, Duke etc? Do I need to take step II to even the playing field or will my scores/transcripts/ranking get me in the door? I have research electives pending in pain management and critical care at the NIH to round out my app. Mucho congrats and thanks to all who've been posting....

Chagas

Senor,

Damn, the USMLE is an important exam to take. If you venture into the allopathic world it's good to have that USMLE score available. That being said, you look pretty impressive with your stats. Generally the east coast programs accept the comlex, but that is a shaky generalization Taking the NIH route will definitely get you interviews with the big boys. No point in taking USMLE step I now, just take USMLE step 2 and blow the socks off of it to show all the programs that you are real the deal.

You are good to go. Just keep doing the voodoo that you do, baby!!!

Does anybody know about any of the programs in Minnesota and Wisconsin? i.e. Are there DO residents there, whta score on USMLE needed to be competitive, how the programs are?

Any Do's matched at Univ of Miami Jackson Memorial Hospital gas program???

This is probably the bazillionth time I've seen the: "Which programs are DO friendly" post.

I guess there's nothing really wrong with that as long as you don't let a rumor deter you from applying to a location, program or God forbid specialty you are sincerely interested in. There have been a number of examples in these forums of DO's getting outstanding positions in many competitive specialties all over the country.

Are you at a disadvantage- Of course!
But what is there to do but to take your exams and apply.

Best of Luck