How did everyone do in their premed coursework?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Krupat

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I did alright so far with:

Bio I: B+
Bio II: B
Chem I: C
Chem II: C+
Chem Lab: B+
Orgo I: B
Orgo II: B

Other sciences:

A&P I: A
Nutrition and Health: A
Human Parasitology: A
Biochem: B thus far

Members don't see this ad.

I did alright so far with:

Bio I: B+
Bio II: B
Chem I: C
Chem II: C+
Chem Lab: B+
Orgo I: B
Orgo II: B

Other sciences:

Nutrition and Health: A
Human Parasitology: A
Biochem: B thus far

To me it looks pretty average, when your taking physics knock that out with As and I assume your going to take more upper level classes so try and get good grades. Remember the Mcat plays a major part of your application too.

Just my 2cents

Yeah Rutgers is just so hard I know I could do much better though...

How have you done in your premed coursework pre-retake and retake? I am going to retake gen. chem. for sure.

Members don't see this ad :)

How have you done in your premed coursework pre-retake and retake? I am going to retake gen. chem. for sure.

Retake your C's and get A's and your transcript looks fine so far. Just focus on doing well on your upper level coursework.

yeah C's and B's arent really gonna do anything for you.

try to kick ***** on the rest of your science classes and you should be ok... adcoms like to see an upward trend so if you start out average and end up with great grades, it will reflect positively on you.

I was always under the impression that pre-med students needed to be above average to actually get into med school, since there are so many people trying to get in. A lot of my classes had an average around a B or a B- (or C+/C), so I would agree that B's and C's aren't really doing anything for you. I would think you need to start getting more A's in the hard sciences.

Are you in New Brunswick?

so far this is how I'm doing

Bio 1-A
Bio 2- taking, going to get a A its obvious
Chem 1-B-
chem 2-taking expecting a A
physics 1-C(going to retake in the summer 1)
physics 2- taking
orgo 1-taking in summer 2
orgo 2- taking in fall

other sciences

Anatomy and physiology 1-B
" " 2-B
Microbiology-A
Histology-taking in summer 1

Biology 1 is considered a retake for me because at my previous college I got a FA due to illness which I will explain in my personal statements when I apply.

Depending on how my GPA turns out at the end, I will decide whether to retake chem 1, as of now I am not too worried about the chem 1 grade. Just working on current classes and trying to get all As in upper level science classes.

I had:

Gen Bio I, C+(I was such a youngin')
Gen Bio II, A (5 years later)

Gen Chem I, A
Gen Chem II, A

Organic Chemistry I A
Honors Organic II A

Calc I, A, Calc II B+

Physics I C+ (calc based) Physics II A (NON calc based- booya)

Genetics A, Cell Bio A

I was a behavioral sci major at a pretty good state school. I worked my a** off, didn't sleep much. These were the only science classes I applied with.

Don't retake the physics. Just pull an A this semester. I wouldn't worry about the Gen Chem either. I think you need to work really hard on the MCAT PS section (and of course the rest).

Are you in New Brunswick?

so far this is how I'm doing

Bio 1-A
Bio 2- taking, going to get a A its obvious
Chem 1-B-
chem 2-taking expecting a A
physics 1-C(going to retake in the summer 1)
physics 2- taking
orgo 1-taking in summer 2
orgo 2- taking in fall

other sciences

Anatomy and physiology 1-B
" " 2-B
Microbiology-A
Histology-taking in summer 1

Biology 1 is considered a retake for me because at my previous college I got a FA due to illness which I will explain in my personal statements when I apply.

Depending on how my GPA turns out at the end, I will decide whether to retake chem 1, as of now I am not too worried about the chem 1 grade. Just working on current classes and trying to get all As in upper level science classes.

Don't retake the physics. Just pull an A this semester. I wouldn't worry about the Gen Chem either. I think you need to work really hard on the MCAT PS section (and of course the rest).

You really don't think I should retake it? I am going to be honest and tell the truth I didn't learn ONE THING in that class. The professor was horrible because he doesn't go into detail just the outline. Labs never heard of them in that class.

I can teach physics to myself because I did go through the Exam Krackers books and I understood them perfect. I just don't want the C bringing my sGPA down. I am sure I am going to get great grades in the future. Just want my GPA as high as I can possibly get it. MCAT is heading my way in January of '11. It's going to be a rough summer until then :(

I've went from a private college-FAs straight down due to medical reasons
went to devry took my english and regular classes there transferred to a cc where I am now and done after this semester. next starting fresh in a new college with a neuroscience major and a minor in biology. Looking back I had to struggle because of epilepsy, feels rewarding lol

Only applying to DO schools :D

I guess the advantage of retaking would be that (1) you get a better understanding and (2) DO schools replace the grade. So with that in mind and you really want to see and learn the material, go for it.

Like I said, I had a C+ in physics I calc based. I had this guy from cal-tech teaching the course who was ridiculously hard and so awesome. He didn't believe in curving. So like 4 engineering students got As. No kidding. I was so freaking proud of my C+ I feel like I have a better understanding of some things in that course than others that I got an A in. He took a week to talk about 4th dimensional space-time FOR FUN. The quiz was like, describe how you would draw a cube in the 4th dimension... haha. So I fully support you taking it for a better understanding. Sometimes the grade does not reflect understanding, which is why I didn't retake this class. And, if you understood the EK physics, don't worry,

About the health issues...I had chronic migraines until I got on the right regimen and switched docs I had a few Incomplete grades. Adcoms asked about it, I explain it and it wasn't a problem at all. Just be really proactive about your health.

I also think maybe taking a lighter load at your new school would be good so you can adjust...

I guess the advantage of retaking would be that (1) you get a better understanding and (2) DO schools replace the grade. So with that in mind and you really want to see and learn the material, go for it.

Like I said, I had a C+ in physics I calc based. I had this guy from cal-tech teaching the course who was ridiculously hard and so awesome. He didn't believe in curving. So like 4 engineering students got As. No kidding. I was so freaking proud of my C+ I feel like I have a better understanding of some things in that course than others that I got an A in. He took a week to talk about 4th dimensional space-time FOR FUN. The quiz was like, describe how you would draw a cube in the 4th dimension... haha. So I fully support you taking it for a better understanding. Sometimes the grade does not reflect understanding, which is why I didn't retake this class. And, if you understood the EK physics, don't worry,

About the health issues...I had chronic migraines until I got on the right regimen and switched docs I had a few Incomplete grades. Adcoms asked about it, I explain it and it wasn't a problem at all. Just be really proactive about your health.

I also think maybe taking a lighter load at your new school would be good so you can adjust...

Well forget retaking that class :D I guess teaching myself physics should be fun, I'm planning on taking a mcat course this winter so that should help a lot.

I already know how 4 year university teaches because I attended half way through at my first college until the seizures came into play. The luxury of free time is gone lol, in a cc you have all the time in the world, even though some professors are hard others are just well...........

I guess the another reason I wanted to retake that class is because my gpa is low, sgpa you know. I received two Cs :(

I've seen a couple of doctors and they all kept me on the same medication and one I am seeing now, who will allow me to do some publications with him this summer at Columbia is the most helpful. He sends me articles, answers all my questions that come up and is just a great guy. He was able to control it with medication, I also did help younger high school students understand that life isn't so bad with epilepsy (done in the "bad" parts of NY aka Harlem). I guess even though I have it, it didn't hold me back that much.

Last edited:
Bio 1:A
Bio 2:A

Chem 1:B
Chem 2:A

Physics 1:A
Physics 2:B

Organic 1:A
Organic 2:A

Cell Bio:A
A and P 1:A

Members don't see this ad :)
Gen Bio I: A
Gen Bio II: A

Gen Chem I: A
Gen Chem II: A

Orgo I: A
Orgo II: A

Physics I: A
Physics II: A

Genetics: A-
Biochem : A

Yeah I go to New Brunswick, and our averages are nowhere near C+ we usually average around 50-60 on our exams. So in my school it seems as if I am above average... Well anyways Mohammed I thought you had retaken many courses from previous posts (I might be wrong)? You go to Rutgers? If so RU doesn't give minus grades. Unless you took them at a CC.

Yeah I go to New Brunswick, and our averages are nowhere near C+ we usually average around 50-60 on our exams. So in my school it seems as if I am above average... Well anyways Mohammed I thought you had retaken many courses from previous posts (I might be wrong)? You go to Rutgers? If so RU doesn't give minus grades. Unless you took them at a CC.

Yup your correct I have taken many courses. These courses had to be retaken because of a medical issue, classes like English, calc, bio, and psychology. No I'm not at RU, I was thinking about starting there this fall but decided to go to Drew. I guess I like smaller classrooms better. RU has a great name and all but the class size is just too much. I took all those classes at a cc, grades aren't that high compared to the new people who posted lol.

I'm planning on taking the mcat this coming January so from there I guess I'll decide whether I'll need a retake in physics 1. As of now I have decided I do not need to retake because my other classes I'm receiving all As.

Best of luck in RU, great parties down there ;)

Nice, it seems like mostly or all As is really what it takes

Gen Bio I: A
Gen Bio II: A

Gen Chem I: A
Gen Chem II: A

Orgo I: A
Orgo II: A

Physics I: A
Physics II: A

Genetics: A-
Biochem : A

I had something like 8+ C's in science courses on my transcript with no research or anything special. Just 50hrs shadowing and some volunteering since high school. And only 1 med school out of the 6 I interviewed at ever brought up my grades. My mcat was low also. So I dunno. I guess it will depend on your interviewers. I also received 2 more interviews in April.

Mmm... not very well.

Mostly B's, some C's, occasionally A's.
But then I wasn't premed when I took these.. so I didn't really try hard.

Depressed. :lame:

Calc 3.5
Bio1 4.0
Bio 2 4.0
Chem1 4.0
Chem2 4.0
Chem labs 4.0
Orgo 1 3.5
Orgo 2 2.5
Orgo lab 3.5

Phy1 3.0
Phy2 3.0
Phy lab 3.5

Anatomy 2.5
Physiology 3.5
Biochem 2.5
Genetics 3.0

Master, where did/are you interviewing?

LMU, KCOM, WVSOM, TUCOM-NV, SOMA, RVUCOM, LECOM-Erie, KCUMB

Yes I didn't get any high end schools. But I didn't expect any either with my stats. Keep in mind I did repeat a few of my C's and received A's for gen chem 1 and 2 and genetics. I kept the C's in orgo (no way in hell i'm going through that again) and psych and econ and immuno and maybe something I forgot.

I also aced the s*** out of all my interviews because interviews don't make me nervous. I just be myself and they either like me or they don't.

Ouch. Wait 'til Jag sees that. :smuggrin:

lol I'd consider KCOM a mid-tier school. No offense to anyone. lol

High end ones to me are those with the highest stats to enter. Of course you might prefer a lower-stats school over something like CCOM.

Lol, I'd be PISSED about that one A- :smuggrin:

Haha, yeah if it had been the last class I took it would have bothered me, but it happened early in my education. I like this thread alot because it shows pre-meds that stats aren't everything. In my case, where I have little to no volunteer work and no research (granted I am married with 2 children, whom I choose to spend all of my time with), stats were all that got me through. But my advice to pre-meds is to focus on being well-rounded rather than robots with a 4.0. A few B's and even a C or two isn't the end of the world if you have great EC's.