How did you ACE physics?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PM504

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have never taken a physics class, but I'm really going to try my hardest to get an A. Does anyone have any advice on how to succeed in physics?:D

Members don't see this ad.

Do lots of problems and go to office hours for help

I got a B in physics 1, but an A in physics 2. I took calc-based because I love math. I did well in physics 2 because I was able to imagine it all as abstract mathematics (fields, line integrals, etc). But most pre-meds don't really see it that way.

Trick to physics is to do lots of practice problems in order to find patterns in problem solving--although I feel like this the trick to any analytical science class, haha.

Members don't see this ad :)
Doing every single problem In the book, regardless of how frustrated you get (normal for physics), will guarantee you an A.

That was my first physics professor's suggestion, but he had a drop rate of 90%.

Do lots of problems and go to office hours for help

Doing every single problem In the book, regardless of how frustrated you get (normal for physics), will guarantee you an A.

The more problems you do, the more you'll start to realize that many of the problems in physics I and II are related and can be approached in similar/multiple ways.

What if you do the problems but don't have access to the solutions?

If you know a few people in the class, you guys can get together and compare your final answers to see if everyone came to the same conclusion with the same steps.

We had online homeworks, so you knew if you got some right or wrong. If one of us ran out of tries and got it wrong, we could ask a classmate who got it right and see what they did.

Also, the physics tutors at my school were a huge resource. This could vary school by school, but most of us went there when we had no clue what we were doing. This was one of the classes where working with others really helped, I could think through problems with a tutor or other classmates and between multiple minds, we'd piece things together. There were definitely a few problems I know I could not have solved or understood alone.

I have never taken a physics class, but I'm really going to try my hardest to get an A. Does anyone have any advice on how to succeed in physics?:D
Problem sets....problem sets...and more problem sets. :)

Our professors gave us a basic outline of what we needed to know and do, but I learned the rest from doing problems, making mistakes, and correcting them.

In our physics class, our exams were also mostly based off of the homework problem sets, so if I felt comfortable doing the homework, I knew I was at least prepared for the exam.

Last edited:
Do LOTS of problems. Active learning.

My physics professor was tough to understand (VERY Chinese), but he assigned homework every other time we met. I did as many of those as I could alone, helped some other students with them, and any problems I struggled with went with me to the physics tutor in our learning lab. I usually spent ~15 minutes with him a week working on a couple problems. If I thought it was particularly difficult, I would either ask the tutor for a few more problems or find them myself to make sure I had concepts mastered.

Looking back, I can say that physics wasn't too hard once you get into it, but you have to stay on top of it or risk being overwhelmed.. especially with translational motion. That entire semester seemed to build on itself, whereas physics 2 (light and electro stuff) moved onto different, unrelated concepts pretty regularly.

Be active in your learning and do your best to think the stuff is interesting. As lame/cliche as it sounds, the power of positive attitude cannot be overstated when you're doing something you don't really want to do.

Good point. I would go to office hours or use your peers for problems you're having trouble with. Personally, having well explained solutions to the problems I was doing was key.

Does your textbook publish a solution manual? If so you can probably order it, or your professor should have one that you can take a look at.

Yes, plenty of problems. I always found all solutions online as well. Each of my classes had 2 hours worth of timed online homework each week which was annoying but extremely helpful. I took calc based physics and also found youtube videos to be super helpful for specific concepts.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got an A in both physics by using youtube alotttttt. No joke, some of the tutorial videos really helped me out. And like everyone is saying make sure you go overboard with doing problems. The more you do the better you will do, thats like a guarantee.

I got an A in both physics by using youtube alotttttt. No joke, some of the tutorial videos really helped me out. And like everyone is saying make sure you go overboard with doing problems. The more you do the better you will do, thats like a guarantee.

Cool, I guess I will start looking at youtube now. !!:eek:

The more problems you do, the more you'll start to realize that many of the problems in physics I and II are related and can be approached in similar/multiple ways.

Very true...

Seriously, and I mean this with no condescension, learn to understand what you're doing. That's what you'll most likely be tested on. Don't look for tricks or games or gimmicks. If they give you an equation, play with it, try to put it inside another equation, and try to really understand, conceptually, what the equation does for you. When you get problems wrong, don't move on until you understand why you got it wrong. Good luck, it's a rough class.

Forget the calculus part, you'll use it a few times to derive equations. BUT KNOW YOUR ALGEBRA COLD as you'll be using it in almost every single problem. Like the others said, do problems over and over, it's more algebraic manipulation than anything. Another key is to understand givens...i.e., when you learn kinematics and they tell you an object is dropped from rest, you know that initial velocity = 0 and things like that. And if you're still having problems, youtube Brightstorm physics videos. The guy is GODLIKE when it comes to physics concepts, and entertaining as hell (pun intended)

Some people have told me that they used note cards to help them study for physics. Has this helped anyone?

Some people have told me that they used note cards to help them study for physics. Has this helped anyone?

Only if you write down formulas to memorize, AND you write out which each variable stands for below the forumula.

For example

* F = m*a

* F = Force, in Newtons (N)

* m = mass, in kilograms (kg)

* a = acceleration, in meters per second squared, (m/s^2)

Otherwise you will get confused under pressure.

Yes lots and lots of problems and go to class. My physic class was one of those "weeder" classes. A lot of people didn't go to class so my professor would use like 30% class examples on the test. People got them wrong. =\

Use a torrent program or something else to download a copy of the text book answer key with solutions. Work out all the problems again and again. You'll be golden.