How did you ask for a rec letter?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

How did you ask for a rec letter?

• Phone

Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Email

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • In person

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • other, please mention below.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
M

MaryWrathers

Phone
Email
Face-to-face
Other, please mention.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi mary,

I would suggest in person. That way you can discuss with them what you are looking for them to write as well as give them a copy of your resume. Also if its been awhile they might not recognize the name off the bat but might recognize the face. I would never ask for a LOR over email or phone unless they were not in my area. Then I'd ask over the phone. Much more personal. :luck:

While you really should do this in person, I had one Prof. that was REALLY busy (I think he was up for tenure.) When I tried to make an appointment to see him (he wasn't teaching classes that semester and didn't have any office hours,) he pretty much wouldn't agree to see me until I told him what it was about. I eventually asked him in email, and he said something like "Sure, I'd be happy to -- there's no need for you to stop by, just send me PDFs of your CV, etc."

I would highly recommend asking in person, however (which I did for all of my other LORs -- except for a former boss that now lives in India.)

Members don't see this ad :)
i did it via email but offered to meet with them in person. i ended up meeting with one and just mailing the resume/personal statment to the others. i feel it worked out well but we'll see if I get in anywhere... I'm a bit social-phobic and so are most profs.

Hi mary, I can't vote because I'm doing it both face to face and through e-mail. One professor I need a letter from in is Virginia and I'm in Illinois. So e-mail is the best option for me. I also asked my current A&P II instructor for one last Thursday after class (our class ends in 2 weeks).

Hope this helps.

i agree. in person is best. i did this will all my recommenders but one, since that would be a very expensive "in person" request (he's in cali, i'm in florida).

I called the college and found out that the professor was out for the summer so I send her an email. That worked. I mailed her a package with my info (PS, CV and transcripts) and then she mailed a letter to Interfolio.
The second professor I went to see in the office.
The third one I emailed and planning to see him soon.
I think the best way to do it is to make an appointment and see them in person.