mshheaddoc

Howdy
Moderator Emeritus
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2002
Wild west of Mistytown
Status
Hi mary,

I would suggest in person. That way you can discuss with them what you are looking for them to write as well as give them a copy of your resume. Also if its been awhile they might not recognize the name off the bat but might recognize the face. I would never ask for a LOR over email or phone unless they were not in my area. Then I'd ask over the phone. Much more personal. :luck:

Sol Rosenberg

Long Live the New Flesh!
Feb 12, 2006
Living in America
Status
  1. Attending Physician
While you really should do this in person, I had one Prof. that was REALLY busy (I think he was up for tenure.) When I tried to make an appointment to see him (he wasn't teaching classes that semester and didn't have any office hours,) he pretty much wouldn't agree to see me until I told him what it was about. I eventually asked him in email, and he said something like "Sure, I'd be happy to -- there's no need for you to stop by, just send me PDFs of your CV, etc."

I would highly recommend asking in person, however (which I did for all of my other LORs -- except for a former boss that now lives in India.)

About the Ads

MiesVanDerMom

D.o. or Die
10+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2004
With my husband, my kids, and the hellcat
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
i did it via email but offered to meet with them in person. i ended up meeting with one and just mailing the resume/personal statment to the others. i feel it worked out well but we'll see if I get in anywhere... I'm a bit social-phobic and so are most profs.

Beau Geste

yah mo b there
Bronze Donor
10+ Year Member
Jun 10, 2005
Between Heaven and Hell, benching like crazy
Status
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Hi mary, I can't vote because I'm doing it both face to face and through e-mail. One professor I need a letter from in is Virginia and I'm in Illinois. So e-mail is the best option for me. I also asked my current A&P II instructor for one last Thursday after class (our class ends in 2 weeks).

Hope this helps.

pirata

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 7, 2006
Texas
Status
  1. Medical Student
i agree. in person is best. i did this will all my recommenders but one, since that would be a very expensive "in person" request (he's in cali, i'm in florida).

albaniandoc

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
May 22, 2005
Status
  1. Medical Student
I called the college and found out that the professor was out for the summer so I send her an email. That worked. I mailed her a package with my info (PS, CV and transcripts) and then she mailed a letter to Interfolio.
The second professor I went to see in the office.
The third one I emailed and planning to see him soon.
I think the best way to do it is to make an appointment and see them in person.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads