How did you change your study habits? What do you do differently now? What, in your opinion, is the best way to retain a lot of info in a short time?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xoxo111

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Wondering if people could post their experiences.

Members don't see this ad.

Put the phone away. Deactivate facebook/twitter/instagram whatever it is that is ****ing you up the most when it comes to wasting time. You get rid of that issue and you’ll do better.

Reactions: 1 users
I am a 3rd year at DMU and not sure what school you go to so my advice may not be as applicable to you, but it worked pretty well for me.

I found the key to be repetition. It is really hard (at least for me) to look at stuff 1 or 2 times and expect to be able to recall and apply the facts from 14-17 lectures. I had to see it several times to memorize all the minutiae they expect us to know.

-1st year I would watch the lectures (or read the handouts) the day they were done on 2x speed, then re-organize everything into a study guide for myself. It was time intensive, but then ~3 days out from the exam I would just crush the notes I took as many times as possible. Usually I would get through everything 1-2 times on days 3 and 2 out each and then 1 day out would go through everything another 2-3 times.

-2nd year I switched over to taking all my notes in anki and staying up to date on the reviews, then again 2-3 days out from the exam I would start focusing on that class. When I switched to anki, I would read through the power points and then 'cram mode' the cards I made for that lecture as well as just doing cram mode for the entire deck.

Using both of these methods got me similar grades years 1 and 2, but I prefer the anki method. It took about the same amount of time the day of the lecture, but staying up to date on the reviews made studying for the exam a lot easier 2-3 days out.

Again, these are just example methods that I found to work well FOR ME. You may be a totally different type of learner and if you are struggling, may need to reach out to the academic resources at your school for help finding strategies that are efficient for you.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As said above, the more times you can get through your notes, the more your will remember. I would also try to remember what was on the next slide and just do little quizzes in my head as I would study. Also, if there was lists to remember I would try to make stupid sayings to remember them. The more ridiculous the better lol

Reactions: 1 user
Very simple for me..... after class, I make sure the notes I took that day make sense. The first time I go through all of the slides, if something doesn't make sense, I look it up and add the clarification to my notes. I study straight from the slides + whatever I wrote on them and white board the concepts of it. I don't just write things over and over again on the white board. I simplify it down, make analogies, draw a picture, etc. Basically, no matter which way I write or draw it, I know that if I've simplified it or can describe it in numerous ways, I know the material. I don't ever export my notes out of notability. I don't re-write them, put them in another document, use Anki, or any of those things. I was a non-trad student and my first semester was rough. Kept trying to study like the other students. I'm in my second year now and I still get people telling me that I'm studying "wrong"..... lol. I study a little bit every day, take a day off on the weekend. 2 weeks prior to exams, longer study sessions and when I'm fried, I walk away for a break or for the night. I also go to class. I don't like watching the lectures from home, mostly because I won't watch them.

TL;DR..... My study strategy is so boring and basic. Go to class, takes notes, make sure notes make sense, make multiple passes through lectures with a white board, take exam.... repeat each exam cycle. I have found that the material seems to stick around longer in my head as well. I used to panic before exams, now I go to bed by midnight and expect a good grade when I take the exam. I know that I need to see the material multiple times and I know that it takes time so I plan accordingly. I also quit thinking that there would be some magic form of studying. It's just different for everyone. Discipline, time management, and patience when the material is dense helps.

2nd year I switched over to taking all my notes in anki and staying up to date on the reviews, then again 2-3 days out from the exam I would start focusing on that class. When I switched to anki, I would read through the power points and then 'cram mode' the cards I made for that lecture as well as just doing cram mode for the entire deck
How long does it take about to make all the cards in anki for all lectures for 1 exam? Let's say 17 lectures. I have tried it and it is so time consuming. Also, how long did it take to make 1 pass over 17 lectures.

Do you make image occlusions or your own notes mostly?

Thanks

How long does it take about to make all the cards in anki for all lectures for 1 exam? Let's say 17 lectures. I have tried it and it is so time consuming. Also, how long did it take to make 1 pass over 17 lectures.

Do you make image occlusions or your own notes mostly?

Thanks
I started actually going to the majority of the lectures 2nd year and would make the cards while listening, usually would get done with all my cards for that lecture. Then I would go through those cards, stay up to date on the reviews, etc.

I would estimate my average cards per lecture were ~100 (some more, some less depending on the topic), but they were all either cloze deletions or image occlusions so there were multiple "cards" per actual card. According to the statistics in anki, I would normally average ~10 cards/minute when studying so once I was comfortable with the material reviewing did not take that long.

I’ve heard sketchy is very good (never used it before, thinking about starting it). What courses did you find using sketchy the most helpful for (if you used it)?

I’ve heard sketchy is very good (never used it before, thinking about starting it). What courses did you find using sketchy the most helpful for (if you used it)?

Mostly Microbio, but also a bit for Pharm and Path. You won't need Sketchy in the first year as these are all 2nd-year courses. Also, if exam questions are from lecture notes then sketchy won't help there imo...but it's def a must for board prep.

Great advice above from everyone...follow one, stick with a schedule, do group studying once a week or so, make flashcards...all these will help to solidify and recall facts during exams.

I started actually going to the majority of the lectures 2nd year and would make the cards while listening, usually would get done with all my cards for that lecture. Then I would go through those cards, stay up to date on the reviews, etc.

I would estimate my average cards per lecture were ~100 (some more, some less depending on the topic), but they were all either cloze deletions or image occlusions so there were multiple "cards" per actual card. According to the statistics in anki, I would normally average ~10 cards/minute when studying so once I was comfortable with the material reviewing did not take that long.
I have also done image occlusions and such, but often I realized that I tend to memorize the actual picture and slide. Once I see certain slide or picture for 3rd-5th time, I just know where all answers go by memory, but I think it is not perfect way since on exam mostly it is worded question where you actually need to know the actual answer.

But, typing out actual questions and answers takes too much time on Anki.

So far I have not found a perfect way to study with Anki. Tried using pre-made decks, but they are irrelevant to our exams.

Sketchy micro was a good source for boards and I highly recommend it for part 1 prep. Pharm and path were too long and convoluted for me to get into.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it depends on your curriculum, as a second year WesternU student I transitioned my study strategies really early on when I saw I wasn't keeping up. I usually go for a preview via Boards & Beyond, watch lecture, then review by answering learning objectives as a general strategy. Getting three passes on everything is the goal although with the amount of information it's definitely not easy. This year I've used Pathoma, Sketchy, and Boards & Beyond still but it can be too many external resources at times. Sketchy is great for retention but I do agree with the above comment Pharm&Path sketchy are long and I haven't been keeping up with them. I always have a sketch book to draw certain concepts out because that is my preferred method of studying but I try to limit that to high yield things because it takes a lot of time. In anatomy lab, find a buddy go in there and talk through everything from the bones to the nerves...studying anatomy from home is basically a waste of time in my opinion.

For boards all I used was sketchy micro and I’d be surprised if I got more than 2 micro questions wrong on boards. Pharm is long but helpful. If you have the time, use it. But if you are short on time then I don’t recommend it because you do need to sleep lol never used sketchy path besides for brain tumors for an exam.