Did you ever have to retest as a podiatry student?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Aresnebula

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
UPDATE: I PASSED MY RETEST! THANK YOU, EVERYONE, WHO REACHED OUT! SPECIAL THANKS TO @Pod Dude FOR YOUR NOTES!

Hi,

I’m a first year podiatry student and I just failed a course. Turns out I’ve to retest. I feel extremely demotivated and this is a course which has a bad rep of making people dropout. We’ve about 4 people repeating the entire first year with us due to this course and maybe few people dropped out.

I’m just feeling very hopeless because this is the first time I ever failed in something. I was wondering if anyone had to retest when they were a student? I guess I’m just looking for some words of encouragement right now.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry about that. I thought maybe those who have graduated already and had to retest would give me some insight, but of course, I would appreciate words of encouragement from anyone.

Retook 2 final exams for a class and it's subsequent semester.

Passed them both no issues. No one has asked since or cared.

Reactions: 1 user
Jesus, no.

• Haha
Hi,

I’m a first year podiatry student and I just failed a course. Turns out I’ve to retest. I feel extremely demotivated and this is a course which has a bad rep of making people dropout. We’ve about 4 people repeating the entire first year with us due to this course and maybe few people dropped out.

I’m just feeling very hopeless because this is the first time I ever failed in something. I was wondering if anyone had to retest when they were a student? I guess I’m just looking for some words of encouragement right now.

I know of several ppl who had to retest during the first year, most of them made it out, but a few didn't. It sucks to be in a position like this where a course/exam determines the future, but it is what it is.

Below are a few things I would do if I were in your situation:

1) Read the rules and regulations of failing/promotion/retesting for your program in the student's handbook. Knowing the rules/procedures will help you in case you do not pass the retest.

2) I would talk to students who re-tested this same course last year, I am sure you can find them if they are in your current class. If they are willing to help, ask them how to prepare for the exam, materials used, etc. While figuring out what went wrong in your own prep, these students are the best source of passing.

3) Depending on the time you have to study and take the exam (and the subject), use your class notes carefully, as in, don't get bogged down to detail stuff, look at the big picture, and try to do as many questions as possible. Doing questions from multiple sources will help you choose the best option while eliminating others.

4) If you think the professor can help, seek their advice/help as well.

5) Use your time wisely, no reason to panic and waste time...rather, make a schedule and follow it.

Lastly, I am sure there are those who have taken such exams, passed and moved on (like weirdy above), so you can too.

Good luck!

I know of several ppl who had to retest during the first year, most of them made it out, but a few didn't. It sucks to be in a position like this where a course/exam determines the future, but it is what it is.

Below are a few things I would do if I were in your situation:

1) Read the rules and regulations of failing/promotion/retesting for your program in the student's handbook. Knowing the rules/procedures will help you in case you do not pass the retest.

2) I would talk to students who re-tested this same course last year, I am sure you can find them if they are in your current class. If they are willing to help, ask them how to prepare for the exam, materials used, etc. While figuring out what went wrong in your own prep, these students are the best source of passing.

3) Depending on the time you have to study and take the exam (and the subject), use your class notes carefully, as in, don't get bogged down to detail stuff, look at the big picture, and try to do as many questions as possible. Doing questions from multiple sources will help you choose the best option while eliminating others.

4) If you think the professor can help, seek their advice/help as well.

5) Use your time wisely, no reason to panic and waste time...rather, make a schedule and follow it.

Lastly, I am sure there are those who have taken such exams, passed and moved on (like weirdy above), so you can too.

Good luck!

Thank you

I was wondering, will a retest look bad to residency directors? I'm not a top student (bottom 30%), so I was wondering if this will screw me over.

I was wondering, will a retest look bad to residency directors? I'm not a top student (bottom 30%), so I was wondering if this will screw me over.

If that's your only red flag until graduation then it's fine, granted you don't develop a pattern or get any board failures.

Checklist:
1. Pass all classes (GPA>3.0 opens more doors for you but it’s not the end of the world if it’s below)
2. Pass boards
3. Don’t be lazy when your rotating (stay late and learn, learn to be efficient, learn what your attending likes, ect)
4. If you don’t know something, look it up quickly. Don’t get the same questions wrong if asked.
5. Be a normal human that someone wants to spend 1, 2, or 3 years working with. (Probably the most important factor)

A lower GPA will prevent you from getting some residency programs but there are a lot of good ones out there. If book work isn’t your thing then hopefully hands on is better for you and you can excel on rotations/clerkships. If you aren’t good at either then your SOL lol.

Reactions: 4 users
So for most podiatry schools what is a passing score for a class on a scale of 0-100 %?
Also i didn't knwo that your GPA mattered for podiatry medicine residency compared to alopathic/DO schools.:bored:

So for most podiatry schools what is a passing score for a class on a scale of 0-100 %?
Also i didn't knwo that your GPA mattered for podiatry medicine residency compared to alopathic/DO schools.:bored:

70 is passing (C/C-) at most programs.

GPA/class ranking matters a bit more than MD/DO because our boards are pass/fail, also need a high GPA when choosing an externship site.

The same can be said for the MD/DO programs once Step 1 becomes pass/fail from 22..i.e. GPA/class ranking along with step 2 CK scores.

Yup. GPA and rank gets you your clerkship and then your work ethic, retained knowledge, interpersonal skills, and personality get you your residency.

Reactions: 1 users
Yup. GPA and rank gets you your clerkship and then your work ethic, retained knowledge, interpersonal skills, and personality get you your residency.

**** it means I'm screwed being in the bottom 30%...

• Okay...
Not at all. You will still get a residency unless you fail boards. If your grades aren’t the best then make sure you show them that your grades don’t reflect what you can do and what you know when your on your clerkships.

Reactions: 3 users
If you have time to feel sorry for yourself, then you have time to work your ass off.

Stop quitting on yourself. Stop being fixated with grades.

Get angry. Outwork the kid next to you. When given a chance, be a decent human being.

Reactions: 6 users
If you have time to feel sorry for yourself, then you have time to work your ass off.

Stop quitting on yourself. Stop being fixated with grades.

Get angry. Outwork the kid next to you. When given a chance, be a decent human being.

It's not really that I feel sorry for myself, but it's more of the anxiety lol