How did you come up with your SDN username?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My Counterstrike tag back in 2001 was Jack's Smirking Revenge, a Fight Club reference that sounds great when you're in your mid teens but ages very poorly. Over the years the Jack stuck, and has been a part of every username ever since. I originally came to SDN to troll fragile premeds while pondering my own life (I was, quite frankly, terrible at the time), and picked Mad Jack because I wanted to have that crazy poster vibe. A certain admin knocked some sense into me and I ended up becoming a relatively productive member of the community, and a doctor along the way. And people that know me here started calling me MJ, and later Emjay, so that's just my name now.

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
My Counterstrike tag back in 2001 was Jack's Smirking Revenge, a Fight Club reference that sounds great when you're in your mid teens but ages very poorly. Over the years the Jack stuck, and has been a part of every username ever since. I originally came to SDN to troll fragile premeds while pondering my own life (I was, quite frankly, terrible at the time), and picked Mad Jack because I wanted to have that crazy poster vibe. A certain admin knocked some sense into me and I ended up becoming a relatively productive member of the community, and a doctor along the way. And people that know me here started calling me MJ, and later Emjay, so that's just my name now.
We love the growth 👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽👏🏽

There’s an inflammatory side of my personality that I reveal as necessary

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw this image in a meme, and it made me laugh. The pre-med process is stressful, and SDN can exacerbate that stress sometimes. So, I wanted to try to make people grin while reading the forums.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
It was an acronym to a phrase that I have since forgotten :shrug:

My username comes from the British parkour scene. There was a popular guy in the early 2010s named Chase Armitage that would VAULT over things and always looked very cool doing it. Hence the username.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I like Star Wars; Rey and Kylo Ren/Ben Solo are two of my favorite characters. I wanted to tie the franchise to medicine since this is a med student forum, so its a portmanteau of their ship name with Grey's Anatomy.

Reactions: 2 users
I love SpongeBob, and this is Gary’s food that he tastes the day he loses his name tag 😂

I wanted to see "Welcome back, Madame" when I log in. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
For a bit of something light-hearted in the midst of all this app cycle madness, what inspired your username? I've seen super cool and interesting ones and would love to know the backstory!

Came up with mine because I took the NYTimes dialect quiz "How Y'all, Youse and You Guys Talk" and saw that certain places say "sunshower" when it's raining/drizzling but sunny out! This is one of my favorite weather phenomena because it feels slightly magical.

In the Book of Colossians, Luke - one of the four writers of a gospel - is referred to as "the beloved physician" (Colossians 4:14). He is considered a saint by Catholics and other Christians.

Apprentice - I am sure we all know what that means even if the term is not used much in common medical parlance. Back in medieval Europe, however, young people who wanted to be surgeons (who were a distinct group at the time from the physicians, often trained in universities, though not always) were apprenticed to either surgeons or barber-surgeons. And in the United States, apprenticeships of physicians and/or surgeons continued for a time in the 1800s.

How far along am I in this apprenticeship?

I just turned 39 recently. I anticipate doing more GPA leveling postbacc over the next several years, do a formal Special Masters Program, get clinical experience (have a pending application with Scribe America), do more volunteer service, MCAT prep and take exam, and if all goes well, be accepted into MD/DO school by the time I am 45.

I put my trust in the Divine Physician, through the intercession of Saint Luke and also Our Lady of Walsingham, the Blessed Virgin Mary, Mother of God (according to the flesh, not according to His divinity) to help me bring it about or otherwise find me another profession according to His Divine Majesty the King's will.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I have a number of friends who are high school coaches and I used to coach kids' soccer. Over the years I've seen dozens of obnoxious parents gripe about playing time for their kids. When my kids played for other coaches, I just shut up even in one instance when a little jerk publicly humiliated my kid in front of her grandfather. I wanted to send him to the morgue, but I just walked away. When I discovered that my kid, who is now a double boarded MD, looked like she wouldn't even get into medical school I decided that I was going to do every legal thing in my power to help her. That included asking questions and making statements on this board that might rankle some people.

If you look at my post history, you will see that I never take positions about medical science. That's because I don't know anything about medical science. I do know a lot about medical economics and the demographics of the medical profession. Those are the issues that interest me the most and sometimes my posts irritate some people on this board. That's why I am an "Obnoxious Dad".

I have a number of friends who are high school coaches and I used to coach kids' soccer. Over the years I've seen dozens of obnoxious parents gripe about playing time for their kids. When my kids played for other coaches, I just shut up even in one instance when a little jerk publicly humiliated my kid in front of her grandfather. I wanted to send him to the morgue, but I just walked away. When I discovered that my kid, who is now a double boarded MD, looked like she wouldn't even get into medical school I decided that I was going to do every legal thing in my power to help her. That included asking questions and making statements on this board that might rankle some people.

If you look at my post history, you will see that I never take positions about medical science. That's because I don't know anything about medical science. I do know a lot about medical economics and the demographics of the medical profession. Those are the issues that interest me the most and sometimes my posts irritate some people on this board. That's why I am an "Obnoxious Dad".
Your not all that abnoxious compared to some of the megalomaniacal docs I have had to deal with. You are Mellow Dad compared to them.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user