How did you come up with your SDN username?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sunshower26

Reaction score
For a bit of something light-hearted in the midst of all this app cycle madness, what inspired your username? I've seen super cool and interesting ones and would love to know the backstory!

Came up with mine because I took the NYTimes dialect quiz "How Y'all, Youse and You Guys Talk" and saw that certain places say "sunshower" when it's raining/drizzling but sunny out! This is one of my favorite weather phenomena because it feels slightly magical.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 7 users
I chose mine because the dream of becoming a physician is quite long! It felt distant to me in high school (when I joined) and it still feels distant now. I suspect it will continue to feel distant until I finish residency (fingers crossed that happens). Even so, the journey's been a blast.

Bonus: I use underscores to separate the words because I'm a big fan of the programming language C++ and that's how they name functions / parameters.

Reactions: 5 users
Mine is an inside joke from a group of friends haha

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
For a bit of something light-hearted in the midst of all this app cycle madness, what inspired your username? I've seen super cool and interesting ones and would love to know the backstory!

Came up with mine because I took the NYTimes dialect quiz "How Y'all, Youse and You Guys Talk" and saw that certain places say "sunshower" when it's raining/drizzling but sunny out! This is one of my favorite weather phenomena because it feels slightly magical.
It's a family name

• Hmm
Reactions: 10 users
I chose mine because the dream of becoming a physician is quite long! It felt distant to me in high school (when I joined) and it still feels distant now. I suspect it will continue to feel distant until I finish residency (fingers crossed that happens). Even so, the journey's been a blast.

Bonus: I use underscores to separate the words because I'm a big fan of the programming language C++ and that's how they name functions / parameters.
I love this!! Look how far you’ve come 🥰

I don't think this forum platform supported emojis back in the pre-Facebook age.

HAHA don’t age yourself!!

I constantly make fun of my boyfriend for liking the Filet-O-Fish lol

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I used to be a Chemistry major and I watched the show Breaking Bad. It's a combo of the two. :)

We had a dog we referred to as K-dog (instead of her actual name that starts with a K) when we didn't want her to know we were talking about her. Then one day a plastic frog appeared in our lives. It had a single large K printed on its back. K-Frog was born and we use the name occasionally for laughs.

• Haha
  • Love
Speaks for itself. The two capitalized letters are initials for my name as well.

Reactions: 1 user
one adcom called me lawn mower parent so I changed my username to disagree with that statement.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
It was the name of my World of Warcraft character back in the days of Wrath of the Lich King.

Lok’tar Ogar!

It's a family name
If that’s true, it’s completely ruined the image of you I made up in my head. I pictured you tearing applications in half while yelling “fatality!”

• Haha
My username is based on my spirit animal and an anime character from my favorite manga. -ko (こ –) means tiger.

(Incidentally, moko moko (もこもこ) is also Japanese for fluffy!)

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
cuz medicine is pain in the back

• Haha
I love Magic the Gathering. I used to play it all the time with my brother. I thought it might bring me some luck to be the fanciest card in the game.

I was a historian before medical school with deep ties to the grassroots/populist political history of a certain southern state

Was listening to an audiobook and misheard the narrator, thought he said what my username was. I knew I had definitely misunderstood it, and thought it was amusing, considering the context of the book and how it definitely did not involve pineapples. So when I wanted my avatar, I just went on to Google Images and typed in "pineapple grenade" and chose the one you all see here.

I didn't want to use my usual username and didn't care to think too deep about it. So, I mean since we're anonymous, Alicia Keys' song "U Don't Know My Name" sounded great for a name lol

Last edited:
  • Haha
I picked my username due to the place I grew up in. My dad worked in apple orchards when I was a child and the workers there use a lot of buckets. I noticed they throw buckets away instead of fixing them up if they develop a big enough crack. I got to stand up for the little guy (er in this case the little buckets).

• Care
I had a different username years ago when I first signed up for SDN, but had too much info about who I was associated with that username (which came from "good health" in a little spoken language), so I just made a new username. Old user in the fact that I used SDN way back when and "old" user as in I'm a non-trad in my 30s.

I live a luxurious lifestyle on a budget.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I like camping. And don’t like garbage being dumped in the wilderness.

I'm not a physician and I was trying to help a helplessly overwhelmed wife with trying to figure out the residency application process... *looks in the mirror* plus it seemed obvious enough to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 9 users
I'm not a physician and I was trying to help a helplessly overwhelmed wife with trying to figure out the residency application process... *looks in the mirror* plus it seemed obvious enough to me.
This is really sweet of you, though, to join SDN and try to help her

Reactions: 2 users
This is really sweet of you, though, to join SDN and try to help her
Hypothyroidism misdiagnosed as depression by an NP at her Med School's student health clinic meant she was really struggling along with neither of us having any idea about this process. This site was a Godsend when I found it randomly searching for info to help her out.

I come back on occasion to provide info where I can to try to pay it forward and all that. We're about to head out of the country for an International position for her so not sure how much I'll have to add from here on but I saw this thread randomly and it looked fun.

• Love
My username dates back to 2009 when college me thought she was being cute and quirky. "Sweet & Toughness" is the name of a song, except I didn't feel really sweet, but I did feel fashionable ;)

Reactions: 2 users
Because my skin looks like **** and I'm sure I have at least 2 of the 3 conditions listed in my username.

• Care
I googled “random username generator” and picked one I thought sounded cool