How did you decide where to apply?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

caitlinelise10

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I am just wondering how you decided/are deciding where to apply to graduate school (what factors you are considering/considered, what is/was most important to you). Also, what information are you looking for when you research graduate programs and what questions do you usually have?

Members don't see this ad.

Research match, funding, location, APA match rate, mean years to completion, practica sites

The most important factors that I am considering when applying to graduate programs are location, funding, speciality (school psychology) and average length of time to complete -- not in any particular order.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone. I am just wondering how you decided/are deciding where to apply to graduate school (what factors you are considering/considered, what is/was most important to you). Also, what information are you looking for when you research graduate programs and what questions do you usually have?

In order of importance:

1) Research topic - are there PI's researching what I see myself studying for the next 4+ years? This also includes available practicas, how productive the PI has been in publishing, what population/methods he/she is using, and others.

2) Funding - is it a fully funded program? Partially funded, or not funded at all? With the exception of 1 school (Northwestern Feinberg), every program I applied to was fully funded.

3) Internship match rate - in the past 5 years, what is the average match rate, how many didn't match, are there reasons why?

4) Location - All the schools I applied to were in major cities and highly desirable locations like Chicago, Washington D.C., California. If I cannot see myself living in a certain city or fitting into a certain school (i.e. I dropped Brigham Young from my list) for the next half decade, I didn't apply.

5) General reputation of the school in both the department and overall.

6) This came after interviews: my general feeling of the program. Did I got a good vibe from current students, do I see myself interacting well with the PI, etc. Is the PI responsive, nice, dismissive, awkward, etc?

1. Research interests
2. Location (my husband is a country boy, and would not do well in a large city; I do not want to live on either coast; limiting, sure, but I found several potential programs which fit those parameters)
3. Funding
4. (Back when I was looking at the possibility of a Clinical degree) APA match rates
5. Mention the phrase "non-trad"; gauge reaction.

I'm sure my method could have been better, but there's what I used:

1) Accreditation - Is the program APA-accredited? People give APA a lot of grief, but when it comes to getting one of the coveted internships, it's a hoop we'd like to jump through.

2) Location - Where will my spouse be willing to move? I don't think geography should have been quite this important so soon when I was narrowing things down, but I'm happy enough with the locations I selected.

3) Faculty - Is the PI doing research on a topic that I would like to commit to for 4-5 years? The programs are difficult enough, why not do research on something you're passionate about?

4) Funding - $$ fully funded guarantee? sign me up! This obviously led to the next criterion...

5) Dose of reality - Were my scores/GPA good enough to even get a consideration? If I'm below their median or mean, then I figured why spend the time and money?

6) Empowerment - After doing all this research, if I could not imagine myself going to the actual program/city or whatever, then I eliminated it.

In order,

APA accreditation

Research interest- topic, population, the professor that matches your interest is accepting students

Funding

Stats- #applied:acceptance rate, attrition, internship placement

Location- the importance depends on personal preference/needs.

...the professor that matches your interest is accepting students

I second this.

My initial list was made up of fully funded phd programs (tuition remission and stipend), had professors doing the research I was interested in, apa accredited, good match rates, low attrition, reasonable time to completion, etc. The list became shorter once I contacted all the professors to inquire if they were accepting students the following year. The list got even shorter after I showed it to my advisor to get their opinion on it. I still ended up with a list of 16 programs, scattered all over the country.