How did you decide?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DarkChild

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
... what schools to apply to?
For me location is the big one - I do want to spend for years in Hicksville, WV. But aside from that - what else?
Strangely I've found reputation to be much less of an issue than I would have though - there are a ton of renowned schools.
But the real thing I have issues with is how to decide what is a reach, level and safety - I'm still not even sure that those things exist.
So lets hear it, what were your thought processes in deciding where to apply to.

Members don't see this ad.

Basically, I took a list of all med schools, threw out all of the out of state schools which had an admission rate of less than 3% for out of state, and threw out all the schools I just didn't think I'd like based upon location, culture, curriculum, etc. Then I broke the schools up by GPA and MCAT scores into 3 categories - reach, intermediate, and "easy" based upon MCAT and GPA cutoff that gave approximately even numbers in each category. Then I just made sure that I at a good number from the "easy" category (7, I think in my case), and allowed myself to apply to a few reach schools. I wanted to apply to around 20 schools, and it all worked out.

Members don't see this ad :)
OK... the avalanche of responses is amazing.
I have another question, oh silent board, am I applying to the right places/ the right number of places? Should I even bother applying to UCSF - it seems like a cool school, but I figure the Cali State schools are super-competitive. (UCSD is only on my list cuz my old PI is a dean there - lol, his LOR better have some pull)
So far its 12 schools:
Harvard, Hopkins, Columbia, Yale, UCSD, Cornell, Duke, MSSM, NYU, Tufts, UChicago, UPenn.
I'm applying to Columbia and UCSD's MDPhd program.
Here are the stats:
GPA: 3.57 - upward trend though (3.2,3.6,3.7,3.8)
School: Columbia
MCATs: 35 - 13V, 12B, 10P R; 34 - 12V 11B 11P R.
2.5 years of research - no publications though :(
No real community service, but interesting enough ECs.
(Black, Male)
I appreciate the help guys.
:)

Dark Child, your stats sound great and I think that it would be worth it to apply to UCSF. I also think it is a great school (#1 on my list).

i'd definately tack ucsf on that list. you got some great interviews last year - so you are obviously doing something right - gluck
-jot

thats pretty impressive...
i'm amazed you took the mcats again. i would have been drunk and avoiding that dreaded exam forever.
p

Originally posted by DarkChild
I have another question, oh silent board, am I applying to the right places/ the right number of places? Should I even bother applying to UCSF - it seems like a cool school, but I figure the Cali State schools are super-competitive. (UCSD is only on my list cuz my old PI is a dean there - lol, his LOR better have some pull)
So far its 12 schools:
Harvard, Hopkins, Columbia, Yale, UCSD, Cornell, Duke, MSSM, NYU, Tufts, UChicago, UPenn.
Here are the stats:
(Black, Male)

While you will most likely get into a very competitive school with your numbers and urm status, I think you should add some less competitive schools to your list. You should apply to a couple of lower-tier schools along with a few mid-tier schools in my opinion. Better to spend a little extra money and get in somewhere rather than have to go through the process again.

If I can do ok on the August MCAT, I'm a very competitive applicant. However, I'm still applying to many non top 20 schools! Schools that aren't in the top 20 may have slightly lower GPA's/MCATs, but they are still very good schools with excellent students, and it's worth your time to apply to some of them.

Do a search on SDN for lower tier schools to find "safety" schools. Mid-tier schools (schools that YOU may actually have more of a shot at than lower-tier schools b/c you are such a good candidate) area little harder to define. Mine were Loyola, Tulane, Wake Forest, Dartmouth, USC (starting to get harder to get into I think), and Georgetown. They are well-regarded schools, but have slightly lower averages than the top schools.

Definitely apply to UCSF. UCSF has the most non-California people of all the UCs, I think.

You should do well.

Ditto what lola wrote.

You most likely will get into a top school, but I remember that there was one applicant that got shut out this past year (or last). He was a good applicant on paper, but even from his posts here, it was obvious that he was an arrogant mofo, and he only applied to a handful of schools, all of them first-tier.

Don't make that same mistake. Applying to some mid-tier or even low-tier schools will cost a few hundred bucks, but I think it'll definitely be worth it.

thanks for the replies all. I'm definately applying to UCSF now, their program seemed really polished, but I was having my doubts... so I'm rolling the dice and we'll see.
lola and waiting - I'm taking your advice too, so I'm going to start applying to some lower tier schools. Thanks again for the help y'all. :clap: :clap:

UCSF's student body is generally 15% out of state. That makes it about 22 or so students. I know that state residence is used in the initial screen, along with gpa, mcat, personal statement, activities, and background. I would definitely give it a shot. The upward trend is nice, your mcat is WAY higher than their average mcat for black/hispanic applicants, and your undergraduate institution makes your gpa even more impressive. The main thing is the out of state residency. Can't hurt to try.

Nice stats..very competitive..add some lower tier schools just in case..

good luck:clap:

Why no UCLA?

So far its 12 schools:
Here are the stats:
(Black, Male)

Looks like you're in good shape. You might want to apply to 5-6 more schools to keep your options open. Your opinions on all the schools will change after you visit them.

While there is no such thing as a "safety" med school, I've heard it's easier to get into schools such as NYMC, George Washington, MCP-Hahnemann, and Finch-Chicago Med. Apply to at least one of these just in case.

The middle-level difficulty schools would be Tufts, Georgetown, and Temple.

The top schools such as UChicago, UCSF, Yale, USC (so much CA competition to get in), etc. are a crapshoot for anyone. It's good you're applying to several of them.

I guess 20 schools total would be a good number to shoot for. Good luck!

-LK
Hopkins Class of 2006

So far its 12 schools:
Here are the stats:
(Black, Male)