How did you feel about 2010 board exam?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pass2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, anyone take the peds boards 2010? I was just wondering what you all thought of it...I thought I studied hard- 5 years of prep, medstudy dvd, and Laughing Your Way and Zitelli's for pics. Still, the boards kicked my butt! Just wanted to know what anyone else thought about it.
The questions were tricky but simple if you knew subtle differences in the core topic..does that make sense?
Please help...this was my 2nd time taking it and praying it's my final time!:scared:
progress.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, anyone take the peds boards 2010? I was just wondering what you all thought of it...I thought I studied hard- 5 years of prep, medstudy dvd, and Laughing Your Way and Zitelli's for pics. Still, the boards kicked my butt! Just wanted to know what anyone else thought about it.
The questions were tricky but simple if you knew subtle differences in the core topic..does that make sense?
Please help...this was my 2nd time taking it and praying it's my final time!:scared:
progress.gif

i thought it was tough. i did well in PREP, but honestly have no clue how i fared on THAT thing.

Anyone have any idea when we will get our scores? I contact the ABP and the receptionist stated that it would be mid January. Is this consistent with past exams? I was thinking it was late December or early January...

I thought the boards were ok, but the longer I get away from them, the more worried I get. Best of luck to everyone on their scores, hope you all pass!

Members don't see this ad :)
PASSED!

For the record, I used Laughing Your Way (read through 2-3x) and worked through 4 years of prep questions (x2) - reading answers and explanations as I went. I highly recommend Laughing Your Way.

PASSED!

For the record, I used Laughing Your Way (read through 2-3x) and worked through 4 years of prep questions (x2) - reading answers and explanations as I went. I highly recommend Laughing Your Way.

Congrats! Hope to be in your position next fall!

progress.gif
hi did you pass the boards? wondering if you would be interested in studying for the boards together for 2011.

HI everyone, I have failed my peds boards the 2nd time, so depressed and sad but I know I need to get it in 2011. any advise. so far have studied from medstudy, prep last 5 years, Laughing your way.

This year thinking about taking a live course at Childrens national, DC along with doing the challenger questions?

any thoughts?

I failed Peds board exam and need study partners to complement learning the review materials for the boards. You can e-mail me at [email protected]. I hope we will PASS the Peds boards next year!

Guess I'll have to change my screen name!:(

We'll all pass October 10, 2011.

Passing the test will give us some relief from the stress of not passing, and maybe an increase in pay...but we can still be good doctors while attempting to pass. Don't forget that.

Don't let a fail discourage you. You can't pass a test you haven't taken.

Keep your head up everyone!

Happy new year.:laugh:
To a prosperous, successful, and healthy new year, welcome 2011!

I didn't pass the exam...did prep x4 years, laughing your way

does anyone recommend the DC live course? are they worth it?

any recommendations on buying the medstudy question banks?

have you heard anything about the course in DC or cleveland? worth the money?

Hey all,

I passed boards this year. Posted advice on another thread, but figured I'd post here too. First, the boards were really hard. I studied very hard but still asked myself during the test, "WHAT did I spend the last two months studying?!" I talked to a Heme/Onc fellow during a break, who said he could tell the heme/onc questions were really hard, so that made me feel better.

Anyway, here's what I put in the other thread:

1) take a PREP test to assess weaknesses
2) review test content outline on ABP, which not only tells you what will be on the test, but how questions are distributed (e.g. 5% questions on growth and dvelopment, 3% on optho, etc).

I focused my studying on weak areas and going over the areas that were more heavily tested. I used Medstudy, 3 years of PREP, Laughing your way, and attended a review course at UCLA. I would only recommend a review course if you failed previously or your in-service exam predicts you have a poor chance of passing as these courses are expensive. i would also recommend taking one early enough that you can continue to study for the boards afterwards.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi folks,
i was in the same boat for the 2009 boards. i think i did not take it seriously enough and did not pass. needless to say, i was crushed.

this year, i studied my butt off:

- i read medstudy all 5 books once, took some notes/made charts on confusing topics like metabolic diseases. i started 6 mos or so before the test, and tried to read through a chapter a week.
- i did 5 years of prep questions starting about 2 mos before the test. i read though all the answers (and why the incorrect options were wrong), including the ones i got right, which helped me to study. i also timed myself towards the last few weeks of studying to get the timing right. i found the real test questions much shorter than the prep questions.
- got the medstudy practice questions (one book) and did those 2-3 weeks before the exam. i really liked the questions on those. they were separated by topic, so i could easily figure out which topics i was weak in. i focused on those topics as well as the topics i did poorly in on the 2009 test.
- made flash cards along the way of the difficult to remember things, like alports vs alpers vs alperts disease, etc. i then reviewed these the last few weeks. made flash cards of development, and reviewed these the last few days
- read through the laughing book x 3.
- looked through zitelli pics the last week.

other tips:
- try something new. do not study the same was as last year. maybe get a new book or resource/class. i added medstudy to my study materials
- i tried not second guessing myself this time. last time, when i did not know the answer, i agonized over it, and found myself rushing at the end. this time, if i did not know, i picked my best educated guess and moved on. i had a few minutes at the end of each section to review a few questions i was unsure about.
- try to relax the last 1-2 days prior. i found it hard to sleep the night before, and relaxing that day made it easier. the last few days, i just went through my flashcards..things like developmental milestones.

2010 was much better for me, and I did better than average. Failing was really hard for me. I felt really down, and i looked to this site for people's opinions and recommendations. i hope this post will help some of you. for those who have to try again, no worries...keep at it, and you will succeed.

hello everyone; I am moris here, I am new on this thread. Its realy intresting site.So I want countinew...thanks.

Hi, I didnt pass the boards and was wondering if there is any further advice or how to arrange study groups?

Last edited:
hi
woudl love to study together with a strategy to cover the topics well. please let me know if interested.

Hi, I didnt pass the boards and was wondering if there is any further advice or how to arrange study groups?

I woudl be interested in group study. Please let me know when you want to start?

I am in your position-failed once, an attending but trying to get over this block-I have been looking for a forum like this-

I remember usmle prep-we used to post our q's or something. Thanks.:luck:

I am in your position-failed once, an attending but trying to get over this block-I have been looking for a forum like this-

I remember usmle prep-we used to post our q's or something. Thanks.:luck:

I'm on the same boat. Would like to join the forum to share Q/A posting and also looking for a group of people to partner-study starting now! Have a relatively busy attending life as many of you do, so maintaining morale and supporting efficiency with study buddies would be great. Please email me directly to [email protected].

Hi. I failed also. Was really upset about it, but doing better now.

I’m ready to get back into the swing of things.

have you guys started a study group? How can we do an online group?

I want to be involved. Please add me - [email protected]

Does anyone have any advice? Has anyone used Pediatrics Board Review? PBR? Osler? Chall?

Anyone have advice on a good DVD course? Online course?

Hi - I'm taking the board for the first time this October, I should've taken it last year but I felt I had too much going on. And now I feel super rusty on everything and I'm so nervous. Please let me know if anyone needs a study partner.