How did you find a doctor to shadow?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

old lady

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Assuming you don't know any doctors, how do you find one to shadow? Did you just start calling numbers in the yellow pages? If so, what was your approach? I work during the week, so I also could only do it on weekends or nights. I am not in school, but perhaps there is some organization that hooks premeds up with doctors? Thanks for any advice.

Members don't see this ad.

If you call a hospital volunteering department, they might be able to hook you up.

I've shadowed a doc at one hospital and volunteered at another and both hospitals had specific shadowing programs, that you apply to through the volunteering office. I called up one hospital to see about volunteering and they asked me if I'd be interested in a shadow program. I participated and it was a good experience. Hospitals understand that there are different types of volunteers, i.e. premeds who want experience versus retirees who need something to fill up their time with. Often hospital volunteering departments have programs suited to the aspiring premed.
Not all hospitals have formal shadowing programs though. Another thought--if you start volunteering somewhere you might meet someone whm you could ask to shadow. Also, as you said you can just pick random names out of a phone book. But I'd try calling a few hospital volunteering offices too. Good luck.

Assuming you have friends at school, you could ask someone, possibly someone starting med school next fall, who they shadowed in your area. I got most of my contacts this way and it has worked out very well. Another good point is that you get their opinion of the physicians as well.

Good luck.