How did you get used to working with teeth? Is it aquired as time goes by?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bipolardoc

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was wondering, my teeth always cringed seriously when I see or hear someone chewing ice or an ice-cream, I mean cringe bad. I cringe at the sound of the drill, and I watched my dentist friend do an extraction and was like what the heck, I dont think I can yank crap out. I was wondering, did anyone have a hard time learning how to deal with teeth, does anyone have sensitive teeth and cringe at some specific triggers? Is this something you get over and ignore or does this feeling of cringing, and stuff just stay...

Members don't see this ad.

I'm just a pre-dental student, but teeth, drills, blood, and spit haven't bothered me yet. I've been squeamish about eyeballs since I was a little kid though, and I have no idea why.

Ok, I was wondering, my teeth always cringed seriously when I see or hear someone chewing ice or an ice-cream, I mean cringe bad. I cringe at the sound of the drill, and I watched my dentist friend do an extraction and was like what the heck, I dont think I can yank crap out. I was wondering, did anyone have a hard time learning how to deal with teeth, does anyone have sensitive teeth and cringe at some specific triggers? Is this something you get over and ignore or does this feeling of cringing, and stuff just stay...

I'm technically not even pre-dental, but if all that stuff about dentistry really gets to you that much, you may want to reconsider careers. Why are you even doing it if there is so much you don't like? I mean why put yourself in a situation where you're forcing yourself to try and like something, instead of just finding something you like to begin with..

Just my thoughts

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm technically not even pre-dental, but if all that stuff about dentistry really gets to you that much, you may want to reconsider careers. Why are you even doing it if there is so much you don't like? I mean why put yourself in a situation where you're forcing yourself to try and like something, instead of just finding something you like to begin with..

Just my thoughts
I was asking dental students that are going thru this, not a pre-anything that doesnt know much about my specific question nor are you a dental school, thanks for a waste of space :thumbup:

One of my professors in college used to say in his lecture when it came time to ask questions... There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Why would you consider dentistry if you can't stand teeth? Personally, I dislike the smell of crap or sticking my fingers in people's butts so it kind of steered me away from being a plumber or going into medicine for that matter.

One of my professors in college used to say in his lecture when it came time to ask questions... There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Why would you consider dentistry if you can't stand teeth? Personally, I dislike the smell of crap or sticking my fingers in people's butts so it kind of steered me away from being a plumber or going into medicine for that matter.
I asked because a big huge chunk of people go into dentistry for the money and job security, I dont want to hear someone BS and say they were inspired, how do you get inspired watching your grandpa put in his teeth. 9/10 of the graduated who finished from my undergrad went in straight for the money, they didnt consider the work that will be done or if they will be able to cope with it well. So since all of us want to be true to ourselves and be honest we will know already that most people who go to dental school are for financial reasons, these people were not experienced or didnt weigh working with teeth as a huge burden in their decision. My question is geared towards those who really didnt have dental expsure and didnt really look into teeth and had a hard time working with them etc... and how they adapted, etc...

Let's be honest, your question is gear towards people who did dentistry strictly for the money because that seems to be your main motivator. The comment about not being inspired to do dentistry by watching your grandpa take his teeth out indicates how ignorant of the whole profession you actually are. It's fine to gravitate to a field because of financial security but for that to be the main reason for doing it let me be the first to tell ya that it ain't worth it. You can't buy happiness sounds like a cliche but it's so true in dentistry. You'll be miserable based on the little that you mentioned already. To be a dentist, you have to look at those 32 white pegs and hear that high pitch of the drill 35 hours a week for then next 30 years and if it 'concerns' you now then just wait. It's like getting married, if you have to think that hard and talk yourself into 'getting over' certain things about someone you're in trouble. You'll be miserable married to them because it's those little things that you questioned initially that will be all you think about in 15 years if your still even with them.

Let's be honest, your question is gear towards people who did dentistry strictly for the money because that seems to be your main motivator. The comment about not being inspired to do dentistry by watching your grandpa take his teeth out indicates how ignorant of the whole profession you actually are. It's fine to gravitate to a field because of financial security but for that to be the main reason for doing it let me be the first to tell ya that it ain't worth it. You can't buy happiness sounds like a cliche but it's so true in dentistry. You'll be miserable based on the little that you mentioned already. To be a dentist, you have to look at those 32 white pegs and hear that high pitch of the drill 35 hours a week for then next 30 years and if it 'concerns' you now then just wait. It's like getting married, if you have to think that hard and talk yourself into 'getting over' certain things about someone you're in trouble. You'll be miserable married to them because it's those little things that you questioned initially that will be all you think about in 15 years if your still even with them.
Dont put words in my mouth, I was never claimed anything about considering it for financial reasons only as I know my MBA acceptance would open more doors if that's what I was looking for, I knew those insecure dental students like you were going to be defensive, so I am not suprised by how you responded. What inspired you buddy, what sparked your interest Mr. I am in it to save the world, at least others have the honesty to admit their intentions, at my local dental school 9/10 admit what they went in for, the other 1/10 had family in it or something of that sort.
Anyhow, hope you lose your insecurity, good luck:thumbup:

Dont put words in my mouth, I was never claimed anything about considering it for financial reasons only as I know my MBA acceptance would open more doors if that's what I was looking for, I knew those insecure dental students like you were going to be defensive, so I am not suprised by how you responded. What inspired you buddy, what sparked your interest Mr. I am in it to save the world, at least others have the honesty to admit their intentions, at my local dental school 9/10 admit what they went in for, the other 1/10 had family in it or something of that sort.
Anyhow, hope you lose your insecurity, good luck:thumbup:
Pietrodds is a practicing dentist who knows what he's talking about.

You should seriously think about dialing back the snide, condescending attitude in general, but particularly in response to a dentist answering a thread YOU started asking for input FROM dentists. Noobs who can't bite their tongues when they don't have anything nice to say tend to get themselves banned.

That said, if you really want to keep blistering people in your posts, that's your prerogative. Just don't say nobody warned you.

Status
Not open for further replies.