how did you go about answering the question about the indivual school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Bevo

Radiology, R1
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am struggling coming up with any material to answer the statments that ask about why you choose they're specific college.

I have looked at the websites, but I read the same general statements but nothing that really sets them apart besides location.

Members don't see this ad.

Yeah that's a hard question to answer, and it's one of the dumber questions they ask on secondaries, in my opinion. It basically forces you to come up with a load of bullcrap, because most people apply to one or two top choices, and the rest are just backups in case they dont get into the the former.

Location is a good one, though. Check to see if they have problem based learning. If you can somehow contact people from the school you could also throw in that you heard great things about the school from students. Maybe you're attracted to how much experience the school has (this is good for KCOM). Do they have a good reputation? Ask any DO's you're shadowing if they know anything out of the ordinary about that school. Call the school and request information about how well students do on the boards. If they do well, mention that as another reason you want to attend their school.

Is the med school on the campus of the main unversity or is it located elsewhere? For example, would you rather be in a school like Nova that has the medical school on the campus and the med students interact with the other allied heath students (dental, optometry, physical therapy etc), or like OSU and I think UMDNJ where the med school campus is a building located away from the school and the only people you see are other med students. There are pros and cons to both and you could discuss why you would like to attend a school that does whichever you prefer.

Do you want to be in a school with a big or small class size? Osu and UMDNJ have between 85 and 90 students, Nova has 180ish and I think New York has around 250 or so. Mention how the size of the class appeals to you for one reason or another.

For OSU, I mentioned the problem based learning system they have, the fact they they are nationally ranked in three categories that define osteopathic medicine (family practice, rural medicine, and primary care), as well as the smaller class size. It's hard to argue that location was a reason seeing as I'm from Florida, but I was looking to leave Florida and experience another part of the country so going to OSU gave me that opportunity, which I think I noted.

Thanks, Ive been rummaging through the osteopathic forums to find any information that might be of help.

I was specificaly looking for COMP and Ive gained that they get a ton of instruction in Anatomy and most students hate the grading system. neither of which I believe is worthy of putting into an essay.

Members don't see this ad :)
If I were you, I'd go back through those posts and email some of the people who posted . Ask them about positive things you can write in your essay. I'm sure many of them, remembering what it was like to stress over applications, will be happy to help. If they can't come up with anything, maybe you want to reconsider your desire to attend the school. :D

heh. I'll try doing that. But as too reconsidering, I dont think Im in any position where I'll have a choice of selection between schools. I mean Ive only been given 3 secondaries thus far with more to come hopefully.

Thanks for the advice though. Time to go PM people!

Don't sell youself short...for COMP, I wrote about how I loved the location of the school (not really) but, I went on about how it was important for me to stay in Socal...although I have decided to accept TUCOM's offer in Norcal, I included that I have talked to many students whom attend the school (which you are doing right here at SDN) and all of the favorable things I have heard about the school (do a search for COMP, and you will find these) You cant go wrong here b/c this is what current students are saying. Basically, you want to convince them that if you are accepted, that you will go. Good luck...PM if you want more, I will give you some interview tips also if you want. Good luck

the only thing I can think of about the state of cali is staying as far away as possible since Im a Spurs fan and hate the Lakers >: Id prefer to stay in Texas adn goto TCOM because its much more affordable. But I dont want them to know that :)

but in all seriousness I wrote about the emphasis on primary care, the statement about how the school is committed to the students or something and finally the camarderie between students.

Im not sure if I need to put something else.

Just a quick hint as well...to check and see if you said the right things about the school, when the interviewers ask you if you have any questions, ask them why they like the school...if they answer the same way you did its a pretty good indication, and they might also give you some hints as what else to mention about yourself...good luck at your interviews and in the process everyone...i'm glad its over!!!

You might just not want to apply, if you are really anti CA. If you wind up going to the school, it sounds as if you would be miserable. Might as well save the $$

nah. I enjoyed going there the last I went to visit family.

I'll enjoy any place that takes me. Ive been a fan of my Spurs for 7 years outside of San Antonio and I dont consider this to be an all important deciding factor in my life. Im not that BIG of a Spurs fan. :D

But I have preferences like everyone else, sure Id like to stay in Texas because it'll be more affordable and its closer to my family and friends. But if it doesn't work out, then it doesn't and I move on with my life wherever it may take me.

Originally posted by lmbebo
Ive been a fan of my Spurs for 7 years outside of San Antonio and I dont consider this to be an all important deciding factor in my life. Im not that BIG of a Spurs fan. :D

Imbebo,
You seem like a smart dude, so how can you be a fan of the Spurs? Bro, a typical Spurs game is about as exciting as watching a Golden Girls marathon. Seriously Tim Duncan looks like he could go comatose at any moment and David Robinson has been relegated to a 8-10 ft jump shooter. I do like T Parker though, dude is quick.

P.S. Lakers are unstoppable again this year and will undoubtably run off another three championships relatively easily.

/me shudders.

ive been a fan of the spurs for a long time! just because I change cities doesn't mean I change teams.

I got to watch the celtics practice up in boston a lot and eventually volunterred my time with them and got to see a few games for free.

/me shudders.

ive been a fan of the spurs for a long time! just because I change cities doesn't mean I change teams.

I got to watch the celtics practice up in boston a lot and eventually volunterred my time with them and got to see a few games for free.

That's tight. I can only imagine what Antoine Walker is like in practice if he takes 15 trey-balls in the actual game. Part of the reason I decided to go to PCOM was because I'm thinking about sports med or ortho and the Sixers practice facility is on the PCOM campus. The downside is that I feel like I'm going to get jumped every time I go the gym when I wear my Laker jersey.

heh. We hardly got to interact with them as they practiced in the gym where it could be closed(the court where Reggie Lewis passed away). But back when ML Carr coached them and Bird was an assistant or a special assistant, they would practice in the open court where most students could watch them.

Only the IL players and some of the 10-12th players ever worked out in our gym and most of the time they looked really out of place since most looked like they had no idea what they were doing.

I am struggling coming up with any material to answer the statments that ask about why you choose they're specific college.

I have looked at the websites, but I read the same general statements but nothing that really sets them apart besides location.

I think that this question is used to weed out the not so serious candidates. If you are serious about any school you will do some research to find something unique about each school. My suggestion is to read the schools catalogue. Also, methodically go through each school's website. Find that one unique thing about each school and exploit it. One example for me was the genesis curriculum at UHS. I didn't know what this was until I read the catalogue.

ive been rummaging the websites and through the forum. Finding some good and some not so good things about some schools.

with UHS I got suprised by the genetics pre-req, which kinda annoys me since I didn't want to take it. I need to ask if the coverage I received in biology will cover what they require since we did genetics and cell biology.

Theres a lot of good advice in here. Thank you all!

:clap: