How did you guys go through the Kaplan books? Slow with notes or quickly taking mental notes?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1085158

Currently doing my Kaplan content prep and I want to know how those of you who used the 7 book set approached the material.

The pages have considerable margins for notes and for the first few chapters of biology I was concept mapping but I realized I was moving way to slowly so I just started to read without note-taking.

How did you approach the books?

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't, as some of it is overkill. I stuck to knowing the Kaplan review sheets COLD, and UWORLD to fill in any gaps plus practice. Got a 513.

Of course, if you're gunning for a 528, that's a different story.

I didn't, as some of it is overkill. I stuck to knowing the Kaplan review sheets COLD, and UWORLD to fill in any gaps plus practice. Got a 513.

Of course, if you're gunning for a 528, that's a different story.
What are the Kaplan review sheets? Is it that extra book that came with the set called "quicksheets?"

What are the Kaplan review sheets? Is it that extra book that came with the set called "quicksheets?"
quicksheets are the review sheets, also free online. The Kaplan quicksheets have the bulk of important information except a good chunk of high yield P/S

there is a more comprehensive (though far less pretty) reviewsheet called the "Milesdown review sheets" on reddit, along with a Milesdown Anki deck

Members don't see this ad :)
Somewhere in the middle for me. I stopped taking notes early on because I was doing TPR too and there just wasn't time. I would, however, try to summarize the information out loud from memory at the end of each heading to "keep me on my toes" and encourage some active learning in the process. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I kind of sped through them. I think I ended up reading through all of the books with loose notes (minus the CARS book) in about ~1 month.

Depends how much you retained from undergrad and what your grades were. If they were bad, best to go slow.

Reactions: 1 user
So many people did not take notes? I was thinking of completing chapters and noting down key ideas at the end of each chapter squeezed onto one summary sheet or something?

So many people did not take notes? I was thinking of completing chapters and noting down key ideas at the end of each chapter squeezed onto one summary sheet or something?
I took notes... this was about 2.5 years ago. But there are pre-made anki decks out there now. I would crush those given the chance.

I'd go through the books and pay close attention to what you know and don't know and use the anki decks to reinforce.

In the end, it's best to crush more practice tests and anki than anything else if you're confident in your knowledge and don't need much review.

Reactions: 1 user